Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get an auto loan at 19

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to get an auto loan at 19

I am almost 19 years old. One auto loan (co signed with my dad) with $2200 left to go. Paying $1000 on it tomorrow and will hopefully have the remainder paid off by July. Two capital one credit cards. No lates on any credit cards or for my car. The only baddies are the 9 inquiries that have accumulated since I turned 18 in June and went CC app crazy. One federal student loan of $5500 deferred because I am still in college, which I have made one payment(my goal is to knock that sucker out before i finish my degree) I am planning on buying a 2012 or later Honda Accord Coupe/2012 or later Hyundai Veloster mid summer but maybe will wait til fall. I plan on selling my car once paid off and using my savings so I can put around 5000 down on the vehicle and financing the rest. my credit score is 655...hopefully it will go up by the time I am ready to buy.I would prefer to not ask my dad to co sign this time because he already has his name on my sisters car loan and my moms car loan...not to mention my parents lease is up in March 2016 meaning we will be buying a house. I do have a job but starting a way better one next month. I don't want to find a car I love then get my hopes crushed...Should I expect a denial for having a thin file or an approval with a crazy high interest rate?.  Was thinking about moving all banking to the credit union near me...would that help? Any tips on how to look more credit worthy? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Looking to get an auto loan at 19

It sounds like you are getting a solid education in credit and finance so far Smiley Happy

What I don't see in your post is your actual gross income.  Income is a major factor in determining how much you can borrow.

Also what is your DTI (Debt to income)?

Message 2 of 3
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: Looking to get an auto loan at 19

Your biggest hurdles are a thin file, length of employment history, and probably income.  There are new grad manufacturer programs out there also that might be easier to get into when you graduate.  Credit unions will most likely want recent pay stubs, say the last three or so.  Since you are starting a better paying job soon, I would think that would be your best chance at getting financed on your own after you establish your income there. It won't hurt anything at all to sit down with a credit union officer and discuss your circumstances to see where you stand.  They are usually very approachable and can give you good advice on what you need to do to qualify.  Best of luck to you. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.