New Visitor
fcaporale

Looking to refi following a Ch7 BK

I have a perfect car payment history, since 2000, with one exception.  I was 42 days past due on my car loan with a local CU and they repoed my car!  The CU had pulled a credit report, and my financial picture became clear.  I was on a fast track toward a Ch7 BK, and they worried I would end up rolling my car into it so they took it back before I had the chance.  Never been late or had ANY other issues with a car payment, EVER!!!  Too bad I had planned to maintain current payments and KEEP that car through the BK process.  Stupid CU.

Anyhoo...

Following the repo, I could only find financing from Santander, and am currently financed with them at something like 26%.  I financed with them before filing my Ch7 BK, and reaffirmed the debt during the BK process.  My BK was discharged April 2012.  I have maintained a perfect payment history on this car since  I acquired it in April 2011.

Santander has started to report to the bureau's again, which is great.  However, I am TIRED of paying the interest rate that I am!  So I am looking to refi this puppy with another company.  Only problem is- I haven't a CLUE which companies will touch a refi following BK!  Google research led me to 1) Santander and 2) Roadloans.  These are the same company and I am currently financed with Santander, so that doesn't help me in the least.

Anyone have suggestions on who to apply to in order to obtain an auto refi following Ch7 BK?  I could really use some "been there, done that" advice as I really can't afford a bunch of credit rejections.  Help?!?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: Looking to refi following a Ch7 BK

I was discharged from my BK in Jan 2009. I bought a used vehicle in Jan 2011 from a Toyota dealership and they were able to finance me with Chase.

I am self employed so its a little bit more difficult, but my interest rate is 7.14%

You might try Chase - it worked for me.

Frequent Contributor
Hammer23

Re: Looking to refi following a Ch7 BK

StartingOver10 wrote:

I was discharged from my BK in Jan 2009. I bought a used vehicle in Jan 2011 from a Toyota dealership and they were able to finance me with Chase.

I am self employed so its a little bit more difficult, but my interest rate is 7.14%

You might try Chase - it worked for me.

www.wellsfargodealerservices.com

www.capitalone.com/autoloans

Either one of those companies will refinance you post BK. 

My experience is that Wells has better terms than Cap 1 buy YMMV. My wife refied her car with WFDS after our BK at 8% 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+