cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MB dealer saga. your thoughts?

tag
Nick76

MB dealer saga. your thoughts?

Hi all I am facing a dilemma and hopefully you can give me some insight. 2 weeks ago I walked into a MB dealer after researching a particular car on their website. After  seeing the car on the lot,  and some brokering back and forth, the dealer and I decided on a price of 43000. I told her I was approved through my CU, at 1.99%, but she kept trying to get me to finance with her. I made a deposit of 3K to hold the car,  got the bill of sale and agreed to return for the car on the next weedend.

Fast forward to the weekend and I called to tell them I was on the way to pick up the car. They said it was being prep. An h our later she call me and said it was damage during prep and they won't be able to deliver. I went to the dealer to get my DP back but they assured me they have an identical car at the sister dealer to be delivered by the 2nd business day.  They decided to give me a loaner until the car is delivered.

Long story short, they have not delivered that either. They have since then told it will be delivered by weeks end, and supplied a VIN #. Researching the VIN shows the car is in quite another state,at another dealer,  despite the sales lady telling me it's showing in her stock. I called that dealer and shocker: the car is. On in their inventory, neither is it in their or my state. He said it is in  yet another state. Today my dealer she called asking for my insurance cards stating she needs them as proof of insurance,and that they can deliver tomorrow. I refused to give it because at this point I do not know what is going on.

Should I just trust my instinct and let this car go? I've been shopping around for a month and this dealer had exactly what I was looking for.

Will there be an issue if I asked for my deposit back? I hope it will not be an issue as they did not deliver as promised.

As usual all feedback welcome

Starting Score: 549
Current Score: 770
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: MB dealer saga. your thoughts?

I wouldn't do business with a dealership that has been promising you a MB for two weeks and has failed to deliver.

Seems shady to me....I bet you have a tough time getting your deposit back too.

Message 2 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

... damage during prep

Sounds like they SOLD it to someone else for a greater profit. Who ever heard of "damaging" a car by washing it and taking the stickers off? I would have asked to see the damage...

Walk away, and get your money back there are lots of cars out there and dealers.

Message 3 of 8
Nick76

Pipeguy,
I believe so also. It was a fully loaded car at 45k. We agreed on a price of 39k, plus tax as a buyout deal

I also asked to see the damage to the car, but you know how that went

I think I will err on the side of caution and ask for my money back. At this point I'm not comfortable and I believe they think I am a naive female they can take advantage of

Message 4 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

I am hoping this is not your first car? be it MB or any other dealer, you should have saw that the clouds were overhead and it could be a little shady. I would have never left my money with a dealer. If it is sold then so be it. Many other fish in the sea. Wow, and im sorry it happened to you. Take that loaner back asap and get your money before they find a way to charge you for the loaner. and run for the hills.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree, cut any ties to that dealer.

All the cars are made by the same factory - the difference in the buying experience is at the dealer level. 

When you have a car from a dealer that has achieved the lofty status of 'Ok, not obviusly dishonest', you might be able to get a litlle bit of satisfaction from MB.

If your original papers from the deposit money had a Vin listed and was dated, it should be easy for them to trace where the original car is now, and what date, and what price it was sold for.

Either the MB Regional ppl might be interested in how the dealer is breaking contracts, or you could go to the BBB or something.

If you went to MB Corporate, you might get free service coupons out of it and a tiny bit of revenge.

Your call though, just suggesting

Message 6 of 8
Nick76

I  realized I have =been away away for a while-- with work and school. Well  to  update.  I took the loaner back,and got my money back- afer some hassle. I eventuallly went to a corporate MB in NY  and got a better deal for the same model car.

Thanks forn you sounfd words of advice. Always appreciated

Message 7 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Nick76 wrote:

I  realized I have =been away away for a while-- with work and school. Well  to  update.  I took the loaner back,and got my money back- afer some hassle. I eventuallly went to a corporate MB in NY  and got a better deal for the same model car.

Thanks forn you sounfd words of advice. Always appreciated

Glad it all worked out. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.