Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MLK Day Blues

tag
-RED
Regular Contributor

MLK Day Blues

Got a situation here...  Dec 22nd car payment was not made.

Jan 21st is the normal last day to keep it from reporting 31-60...

Got to the bank on Saturday, and they had locked the doors early prior to closing time.

MLK being on Monday the 21st, there was no way to pay on that day.

Are all holidays counted in the 30-31 day count? 

Is it posible their compters might not count norrmal considering Christmas/ New Years and MLK day?

[All being within this 30 day cycle]

Payment will be made early in the morning of the 22nd... Is there a way to keep this account from reporting a 30 day late?  

Thanks

Red

-800 or Bust...!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-RED
Regular Contributor

Re: MLK Day Blues

I guess I posted this in the wrong area

You people are really shy 

-800 or Bust...!
Message 2 of 7
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Or it was the middle of the night and not too many people are checking auto loan forms then. Holidays do not push payments dates (30/31) out. You payment due date is your payment due date. If you have missed two, chances are you will have a 30 day late. Call and and plead your case to the creditor.

Message 3 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

For me, I think the holidays and weekends don't count but if my payment due date is due on a holiday or weekend, I usually pay before then but there have been times I paid on a weekend or holiday, and it wasn't considered late even though it was posted the next business day because my payment showed as posted online on the due date. I haven't had any late payments since before 2005 so I don't know if the rules have changed or not. It is probably best to talk with customer service and ask what their policy is.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Usually banks and CUs will credit your payment on the day they receive it, so I'm guessing they'll credit you as paying on Jan 22.

As far as whether they include holidays in the total day count from month to month, I believe that they are counted.    Usually 30 days late means 30 calendar days, not 30 business days.     But I'd go ahead and call in as suggested to plead your case for them not reporting you as late and not charging late fees.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@pizzadude wrote:

Usually banks and CUs will credit your payment on the day they receive it, so I'm guessing they'll credit you as paying on Jan 22.

As far as whether they include holidays in the total day count from month to month, I believe that they are counted.    Usually 30 days late means 30 calendar days, not 30 business days.     But I'd go ahead and call in as suggested to plead your case for them not reporting your late and not charging late fees.

+1  Smiley Sad   30 days is 30 days when it comes to credit reporting

Message 6 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I guess I was more thinking if you pay right on the due date if the due date falls on a holiday or weekend, they don't consider it 1 day late even though they process it on the next business day. I think since OP is already 29 days past his scheduled due date, that paying on the 30th day and the 30th day is a weekend or holiday, will probably result in the payment being reported 31 days past due because OP had his grace period to make the payment so it posts on a business day before the holiday and he didn't.

So I agree it is best for OP to call and plead his case and ask for forgiveness in order to not get a 30 day late on his credit report.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.