Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May have gotten in a Pickle!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: May have gotten in a Pickle!

I don't know what the documents state that your mother signed and has no copies of. But if the dealer said they would take the car back numerous times I would try to take it back. When you go to the dealer tell them you want your copies of the contract that was signed, read it very closely all the fine print. See what they are going to charge your mom to take the car back if in fact they will. I would also try to get that conversation on recording if possible. When you purchase a car you should get a copy of the contract no matter what. Federal law states that the customer has to know the price, interest rate and payment amount is and I would throw that in their face sense they didn't provide you copies of the contract before you left the lot. I honestly doubt they are going to take that car back now but I would get the recording stating they agreed to take it back and not to get the financing until after her mortgage closes, you need them to repeat everything they told you the day of the sale. You will more than likely have to show your butt in front of a large group of customers. If there aren't many customers on the lot call some friends to go down to the lot and appear as potential customers then show your butt. LOL  Then tell them you are filing a complaint with the BBB & if possible the AG in NC. Car salesmen are vultures IMP. I work in commercial sales, and have been offered a multitude of sales positions at local dealership. I couldn't do it, I would never sleep or my kids would starve! 

On a lighter note tell her to not look at the last line of her mortgage amortization at the interest paid at the end of the loan, she will have a heart attack! I about did when I looked at mine!

Message Edited by Bran9192 on 07-03-2008 11:41 AM
Message 31 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Schoolbuskid, how long has it been?  They still haven't gotten you financed or said anything about getting you financed? What is the current status as of right now?

I believe that if the dealership cannot get you financed in 10 days, you can walk away free and clear.  That's what it says on my contract.  But, your mom has nothing to lose trying to return the car NOW. She should ask for the contract and see if there is a penalty. 

In my current issue, thread "What now? Dealership trying to....", my Salesman called me yesterday and simply told me that if we didn't want to wait, we could just go over there and cancel the contract and they would return our money that same day.  So, that is why we decided to give them until tomorrow to find us a lender...
Message 32 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is located on the FTC website under Consumer Protection.... you may want to file a complaint with the FTC since you didn't get any paperwork before you left the dealership.

Facts for Consumers

A new car is second only to a home as the most expensive purchase many consumers make. According to the National Automobile Dealers Association, the average price of a new car sold in the United States is $28,400. That’s why it’s important to know how to make a smart deal.

Buying Your New Car

Think about what car model and options you want and how much you’re willing to spend. Do some research. You’ll be less likely to feel pressured into making a hasty or expensive decision at the showroom and more likely to get a better deal.

Buying Your New Car

Think about what car model and options you want and how much you’re willing to spend. Do some research. You’ll be less likely to feel pressured into making a hasty or expensive decision at the showroom and more likely to get a better deal.

Consider these suggestions:
  • Check publications at a library or bookstore, or on the Internet, that discuss new car features and prices. These may provide information on the dealer’s costs for specific models and options.
  • Shop around to get the best possible price by comparing models and prices in ads and at dealer showrooms. You also may want to contact car-buying services and broker-buying services to make comparisons.
  • Plan to negotiate on price. Dealers may be willing to bargain on their profit margin, often between 10 and 20 percent. Usually, this is the difference between the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) and the invoice price.
    Because the price is a factor in the dealer’s calculations regardless of whether you pay cash or finance your car — and also affects your monthly payments — negotiating the price can save you money.
  • Consider ordering your new car if you don’t see what you want on the dealer’s lot. This may involve a delay, but cars on the lot may have options you don’t want — and that can raise the price. However, dealers often want to sell their current inventory quickly, so you may be able to negotiate a good deal if an in-stock car meets your needs.
Learning the Terms

Negotiations often have a vocabulary of their own. Here are some terms you may hear when you’re talking price.Invoice Price is the manufacturer’s initial charge to the dealer. This usually is higher than the dealer’s final cost because dealers receive rebates, allowances, discounts, and incentive awards. Generally, the invoice price should include freight (also known as destination and delivery). If you’re buying a car based on the invoice price (for example, “at invoice,” “$100 below invoice,” “two percent above invoice”) and if freight is already included, make sure freight isn’t added again to the sales contract.

• Base Price is the cost of the car without options, but includes standard equipment and factory warranty. This price is printed on the Monroney sticker.
  • Monroney Sticker Price (MSRP) shows the base price, the manufacturer’s installed options with the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, the manufac-turer’s transportation charge, and the fuel economy (mileage). Affixed to the car window, this label is required by federal law, and may be removed only by the purchaser.
  • Dealer Sticker Price, usually on a supplemental sticker, is the Monroney sticker price plus the suggested retail price of dealer-installed options, such as additional dealer markup (ADM) or additional dealer profit (ADP), dealer preparation, and undercoating.
Financing Your New Car

If you decide to finance your car, be aware that the financing obtained by the dealer, even if the dealer contacts lenders on your behalf, may not be the best deal you can get. Contact lenders directly. Compare the financing they offer you with the financing the dealer offers you. Because offers vary, shop around for the best deal, comparing the annual percentage rate (APR) and the length of the loan. When negotiating to finance a car, be wary of focusing only on the monthly payment. The total amount you will pay depends on the price of the car you negotiate, the APR, and the length of the loan.

Sometimes, dealers offer very low financing rates for specific cars or models, but may not be willing to negotiate on the price of these cars. To qualify for the special rates, you may be required to make a large down payment. With these conditions, you may find that it’s sometimes more affordable to pay higher financing charges on a car that is lower in price or to buy a car that requires a smaller down payment.

Before you sign a contract to purchase or finance the car, consider the terms of the financing and evaluate whether it is affordable. Before you drive off the lot, be sure to have a copy of the contract that both you and the dealer have signed and be sure that all blanks are filled in.

Some dealers and lenders may ask you to buy credit insurance to pay off your loan if you should die or become disabled. Before you buy credit insurance, consider the cost, and whether it’s worthwhile. Check your existing policies to avoid duplicating benefits. Credit insurance is not required by federal law. If your dealer requires you to buy credit insurance for car financing, it must be included in the cost of credit. That is, it must be reflected in the APR. Your state Attorney General also may have requirements about credit insurance. Check with your state Insurance Commissioner or state consumer protection agency.

Trading in Your Old Car

Discuss the possibility of a trade-in only after you’ve negotiated the best possible price for your new car and after you’ve researched the value of your old car. Check the library for reference books or magazines that can tell you how much it is worth. This information may help you get a better price from the dealer. Though it may take longer to sell your car yourself, you generally will get more money than if you trade it in.

Considering a Service Contract

Service contracts that you may buy with a new car provide for the repair of certain parts or problems. These contracts are offered by manufacturers, dealers, or independent companies and may or may not provide coverage beyond the manufac-turer’s warranty. Remember that a warranty is included in the price of the car while a service contract costs extra.

Before deciding to purchase a service contract, read it carefully and consider these questions:

• What’s the difference between the coverage under the warranty and the coverage under the service contract?
    • What repairs are covered?
    • Is routine maintenance covered?
    • Who pays for the labor? The parts?
    • Who performs the repairs? Can repairs be made elsewhere?
    • How long does the service contract last?
    • What are the cancellation and refund policies?
To File a Complaint

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Message Edited by Bran9192 on 07-03-2008 11:55 AM
Message 33 of 63
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Thanks Bran, that is some really valuable information...i kinda feel like an idiot now! We were so careless!  The fact that the car is doesnt hold its value alone makes me want to take it back...im goin to get them recorded saying that its ok to return the car and we dont have to buy it if we dont want to, which i dont think we have really but anyways...I really appreciate my FICO friends for all of their caring and valuable information...this has really been a learning experience and what i shall never forget! Got to be careful next time! Tired of the drama!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 34 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

No point in feeling like an idiot! My grandma says wisdom comes with age and you don't have wisdom without learning from your mistakes. My granny was a smart woman, I should have listened to her more. How did you & mom fair taking the car back to the dealer?
Message 35 of 63
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Well my mom and i both have been busy working...she told me that she would call and definitely let them know that she is bringing the car....and no is not an answer she is wanting to hear...we tried calling this past weekend to get the finance manager on recording..but ofcourse he did not answer either times we called...

My mom is off on wednesdays so we will probably take it then...she closes definitely on her house July 10th!

In the meantime the honda salesmans have been calling wanting our business!

I will let you know how it goes when we do take the car back! I thought i was a tough guy who knew how things operated but...i didnt even put up a fight...about the payment...interest rate...and i cant believe i let my mom sign that paper...this is really tearing me up!

I bet you by golly i wont let it happen again! Lesson well learned!
Message 36 of 63
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

schoolbuskid wrote:

I will let you know how it goes when we do take the car back! I thought i was a tough guy who knew how things operated but...i didnt even put up a fight...about the payment...interest rate...and i cant believe i let my mom sign that paper...this is really tearing me up!

-----------------------------------

Don't feel bad.  Car salesmen and the car selling business is one of the most cut throat, and often dishonest, businesses around.  Never, ever, go into a car dealership unless you are really in the market for a car.  They will suck you in, play good cop/bad cop, and wear you down until you walk out with a new car, and you are left wondering, 'What happened?'  I really try to avoid car salesmen and car dealerships.

Good luck with returning that car.  They will throw every argument at you for keeping it.  Good luck, and keep us posted.  Time is your enemy ..... so don't wait too much longer.  Once they get financing for your mom it is all over and you will have no leverage.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 07-08-2008 08:43 AM
Message 37 of 63
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

We really want to get them on recording before we return the car, but the finance manager will not call us back we have called several times... I mean we may just have to go up there and show our butts!

They have not giving us any info as far as the financing! Arent they required to give documents anytime they supposedly sale a car?

Message 38 of 63
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I was reading through the NC General Statutes and came across this:

Maybe i could use this against them, for exchange to return the car!

Im gonna do some digging to what i can find!
Message 39 of 63
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Your mom really needs to get that car back to them NOW.  Forget trying to trap them on a recording, or get them on some sort of technicality.  They will out lawyer you.   You have had the car for almost two weeks now, every day you wait it becomes more and more of a used car. 
Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.