Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meh...Looking for some insight here.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meh...Looking for some insight here.

Hello, all.

I have been a long time lurker and reader of these forums and have been "gardening" my meager credit score for about 2 years now and I am looking for a little feedback for this increasingly frustraing situation...

I recently have come to need a new automobile. I am a firm believer in "Drive it till the wheels fall off" but that day is fastly approaching, No other way around it.

I have been driving the same truck since 1999 and my wife has been driving the same car since she was 16 (She is 25 now). Both vehicles were gifts, mine for graduation, hers for a 16th birthday. Both vehicles are fastly becoming money pits and are becoming increasingly unreliable, making something as simple as day to day transport a potentially stressful situation at any given time.

I have 3 CC's. 2 with a zero balance and one card with a 55% utilization (though it is rapidly coming down).

Current credit scores as of yesterday are EQ: 727, TU: 726, EXP: 736. 38% utilization (Again, rapidly coming down). Oldest card is 5 years old, newest card less than a year old bringing my overall average age of accounts to 2 years. No late payments. No negative items to speak of. None.

Never had a need for an auto loan in the past, don't have a mortgage as I live in a rental home owned by a family member that I am set to inherit free and clear upon their passing. (Make 40,000 + a year, been at the same job 11 years. Same address 4 years. Not that any of things were even inquired about when aplying)

At a glance, that should seem pretty decent but apparently it isn't.

After some careful consideration and reading about how great and lienent Credit Unions can be as opposed to big banks, I decided to contact a local credit union yesterday morning to discuss Auto Loan options. I expected to speak with someone to setup an appointment, allowing time for a in-depth discussion but was told that they can pretty much give me an answer by phone after a couple hours. As odd as that sounded, I agreed and gave them my Social.

When I was contacted again, I was informed that they could possibly give me a rate in the 8.4% range and that I "may or may not" need a co-signer due to my "limited credit history" ( I am assuming this means my accounts aren't old enough or they are frowning upon the fact that I do not have a mortgage or previous auto loan history...).

May or may not need a co-signer? Brilliant, I already knew that in the first place...I was expecting a definite answer. 8.4%? Seems waaay to high considering my scores, even taking into account the limited history. I expected something in the 4'ish% range at the highest.

I inquired about my score that they pulled and was told that they could not provide it but could tell me where to get it, I replied that I knew exactly where to get it as I already had it on hand but was curious at what they were seeing. The woman I was speaking with replied with "Eh...well...it;s not terrible." Really? I thanked her for her time and said I would just stop in if I had any further questions as I felt the phone process we were having was rather fly by night.

Feeling a bit discouraged, confused and a tad bit pissed off that I wasted a hard inquiry and had a such a fruitless conversation, I decided that I might as well give Capital One Auto Finance a shot since I have a card in good standing with them.

Fill out the online app, get the "We will process this application request within 24 hours" message, only to get e-mailed a decline 15 seconds later.

Credit alerts start going off about the Cap One hard pulls from each bureau...but no trace of hard any pull from the Credit Union I contacted earlier in the day...is that normal? Did the CU actually do a hard pull at all or was the woman just feeding me stuff to get me off the phone?

At any rate, needless to say I am a bit flustered. I realize a limited history isn't preferred but I see people with much lower scores, bankruptcys and repos getting approvals on here all the time. No knock on anyone with that history at all but I would like to think that I would be viewed as a little less of a risk than someone with a spotty history.

What gives? Is the limited history really holding me back that much where I can't even get cap-one to even CONSIDER me?

I really had no intention of even setting foot on a lot until I have pre-approved financing in hand...but should I reconsider this?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post but any feedback is deeply appreciated.

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Meh...Looking for some insight here.

Something doesn't add up here.  Are you sure the scores you shared are real FICO scores (from this website)?

What reasons are you being given for the declines?  Have you received the adverse aciton notices yet?  They should each show you the FICO score and which CRA they pulled from.

If you have several years on the job, three revolving lines of credit, no derogatory marks whatsoever, and a year AAofA you should be golden.

There is something else going on here ....

Message 2 of 60
Valued Contributor

One question:  How much do you owe on that one CC with a balance and what is the limit?

I would say pay that one card down to under 5% and try DCU.  They pull EQ 04, but if your scores are 620-680 on that model you should be good for a 2.49% or so loan.

Message 3 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Surgical Gloves,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear your ordeal.  For your score and income, you should be able to get an auto loan.  As for CAP 1, I have seen them decline people with solid scores with lousy reasons.

You will probably see the CU pull in a few days.  But do you have any baddies on your report?  A good credit score and income isn't everything..

Lastly, Penfed and DCU are good credit Unions for car loans and I will look into it...

Message 4 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scores I have listed are the scores sold to me from this very website yesterday.

I am hoping they are accurate but with all of the Fico vs. Fako, vantage this, true score that, I hardly believe any of them anymore.

I have yet to receive the decline letter in the mail as I only applied last night.

The only thing I can think of is my lack of previous auto loan or installment loan history, relatively high utilization compared to what they want to see (38%, not too high but hot as low as lenders prefer), or the fact that I opened two new CC's in the past year. (Only did that to try to boost my score in the first place)

It doesn't add up to me either and is borderline offensive as melodramatic as that may sound.

Message 5 of 60
Valued Contributor

38% utilization on one card is not a deal-breaker unless you don't have the income to support the payments, which I'm sure you do.

I am so perplexed.

So that 5 year old account is open and no lates?

What are the two new accounts?

The scores here are real FICO scores.  Did you pay the $60 for all three bureau reports or sign up for the monthly service and pull all three reports?

It doesn't surprise me that you would get some BS answer from a local CU that doesn't know what it's doing, but the Cap 1 decline baffles me.

Please update this thrad as you get more info.  I really want to understand what is going on.

If you pulled your actual reports from myFICO, what are your auto enhanced scores for the EQ and EX?

Message 6 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

$2454 balance, $4300 limit on PayPal Rewards Mastercard.

I realize that is pretty high but it is coming down fairly quickly.

Other cards are a Cap One card with 0 balance and a 1,750 limit and CreditOne card with 0 balance and a $550 limit.

No real "big gun" cards to speak of.

The Cap One card is the oldest at 5 years, while the PayPal is almost a year old. Credit One card is about 6 months old.

Message 7 of 60
Valued Contributor

It's not your balance.  And that is already accounted for in your (very good) credit score.

You have three revolvers, which is sufficient.

You have no lates.

You have 5 years of credit showing.

You do not need to have had an auto or mortgage loan to get one.

There is some disconnect here.  I feel like I'm your lawyer.  I want to get the evidence and go to battle.

Honestly based on what you have presented, you should be a shoe-in for simple approval at excellent rates.

Something does not compute.

Hang tight until you get your adverse action notices.

Message 8 of 60
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Call DCU!   Don't apply online but call.  That is what I did and the person taking the app kept putting me on hold as she talked with the underwriter.  Approved in under 15 minutes and at fantastic rates!

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 9 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed up for the monthly service.

Hopefully these are the "Auto Enhanced" scores but I'm not sure if this is exactly what I should be looking at...

Equifax Auto Score 8 : 693

Equifax Auto Score 5: 707

Experian Auto Score 8: 709

Experian Auto Score 2: 664

And yeah, like I said. No lates ever, no negative items.

Could the new accounts opened in the past year and the inquires that came with that be raising flags as trying to get too much credit too quickly?

Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.