Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day sales?

tag
bellrod44
Contributor

Memorial Day sales?

Ok, I'm thinking about trading in my Dodge Ram (which I currently know I'm going to be rolling negative equity into a new loan) for a mid-size/small SUV (maybe an Escape). I know I shouldn't roll negative equity. I was stupid when I was younger and leased, blew my mileage out of the water and then took out a longer loan than I should've. I took it out based on payment, not common sense. I've learned my lesson and don't want to do that again. However, I get 13.5 MPG and want something that gets about 20 and still have 4WD.

Any ideas? Also, are the Memorial Days sales really that good to justify waiting?

Cards in my wallet: BofA 1-2-3 Rewards - $3,000 (5/2012), Walmart - $350 (9/2012), Home Depot - $500 (10/2012), US Bank - $1,000 (11/2012)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Memorial Day sales?

Try the car buying services that USAA, Costco, and Penfed offer.  Also, if you arrange financing ahead of time with your own bank, you can pick the car you want, and deal with a bunch of dealers at the same time via email.

I bought a car this way last year; had financing, and emailed all the dealers that had the make I wanted within 100 miles.  I let them each bid best price, and chose the best deal.  Way under MSRP, and picking up the car took 20 minutes.  I already knew I was approved and what my payment would be.

Including a trade complicates things, but you can get a trade valuation at multiple dealers before negotiating the car deal.

Message 2 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I am content with my Subaru Legacy. Plenty of space, AWD, and 30+ MPG. I you are set on an SUV, then Subaru is going to be releasing a hybrid SUV probably around Q4 2013.

I am a fan of sedan's over SUV's. AWD Audi, AWD infiniti, AWD BMW ect would all be available in sedan's. Decent fuel mileage, plus just nice rides.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 11
bellrod44
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I am content with my Subaru Legacy. Plenty of space, AWD, and 30+ MPG. I you are set on an SUV, then Subaru is going to be releasing a hybrid SUV probably around Q4 2013.

I am a fan of sedan's over SUV's. AWD Audi, AWD infiniti, AWD BMW ect would all be available in sedan's. Decent fuel mileage, plus just nice rides.

I hadn't thought about a Legacy. In all honestly, I've been driving a truck for so long that I think of trucks and SUVs with AWD. Which model Legacy do you recommend with AWD?

Cards in my wallet: BofA 1-2-3 Rewards - $3,000 (5/2012), Walmart - $350 (9/2012), Home Depot - $500 (10/2012), US Bank - $1,000 (11/2012)
Message 4 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@bellrod44 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I hadn't thought about a Legacy. In all honestly, I've been driving a truck for so long that I think of trucks and SUVs with AWD. Which model Legacy do you recommend with AWD?

I bought the sport, then had a factory looking nav put in. The limited comes with leather, but has fake looking wood trim. The sport has cloth but comes with fake looking carbon fiber trim. I went with the fake carbon and the cloth. I like the long term feel of cloth better, but leather cleans easier. The sport comes with slightly more aggressive wheels, but the tires could be better.

What options do you want? You can go completely base with a 6 speed manual. Or you can go loaded with a either a 6 cylinder paired to a 5 speed auto or a 4 cylinder paired to a CVT. Options with either engine can be; nav, moon roof, and adaptive cruise control.

You can also get a good deal on a AWD G37, they run a good $7-$8k off MSRP since the new Q50 will be out not too long. Fuel mileage with the G37 will not be as good as the subaru.

For good fuel mileage and higher quality, you can get an AWD audi A4. It will run about $10k higher than the subaru.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 11
BoSox617
Contributor

@bellrod44 wrote:

Ok, I'm thinking about trading in my Dodge Ram (which I currently know I'm going to be rolling negative equity into a new loan) for a mid-size/small SUV (maybe an Escape). I know I shouldn't roll negative equity. I was stupid when I was younger and leased, blew my mileage out of the water and then took out a longer loan than I should've. I took it out based on payment, not common sense. I've learned my lesson and don't want to do that again. However, I get 13.5 MPG and want something that gets about 20 and still have 4WD.

Any ideas? Also, are the Memorial Days sales really that good to justify waiting?

Hi Bellrod,

You may want to look into an AWD Honda CR-V - the mileage fits your target (City 22 / HW 30) and it's a reliable car.

Check out Edmunds for "Prices Paid and Buying Experience" for people's experiences in purchasing whatever model you input.  I've learned a lot of dealership-specific tips, and tips on timing of purchases. 

I'm thinking that a great time to buy would be when the 2014's come in - dealerships will be pushing to get the '13s off the lots.  Supposedly the '14s are coming in at some point this summer. 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 11
bellrod44
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I bought the sport, then had a factory looking nav put in. The limited comes with leather, but has fake looking wood trim. The sport has cloth but comes with fake looking carbon fiber trim. I went with the fake carbon and the cloth. I like the long term feel of cloth better, but leather cleans easier. The sport comes with slightly more aggressive wheels, but the tires could be better.

What options do you want? You can go completely base with a 6 speed manual. Or you can go loaded with a either a 6 cylinder paired to a 5 speed auto or a 4 cylinder paired to a CVT. Options with either engine can be; nav, moon roof, and adaptive cruise control.

You can also get a good deal on a AWD G37, they run a good $7-$8k off MSRP since the new Q50 will be out not too long. Fuel mileage with the G37 will not be as good as the subaru.

For good fuel mileage and higher quality, you can get an AWD audi A4. It will run about $10k higher than the subaru.

Great info!!! I'm not set on any options. I don't care about leather. Having a NAV system would be very nice to have for the amount of driving I do. I'd prefer an auto transmission.

Now you've got me thinking about a Subaru. I haven't driven a car since I was 16.

Message 7 of 11
bellrod44
Contributor

@BoSox617 wrote:

@bellrod44 wrote:

Hi Bellrod,

You may want to look into an AWD Honda CR-V - the mileage fits your target (City 22 / HW 30) and it's a reliable car.

Check out Edmunds for "Prices Paid and Buying Experience" for people's experiences in purchasing whatever model you input.  I've learned a lot of dealership-specific tips, and tips on timing of purchases. 

I'm thinking that a great time to buy would be when the 2014's come in - dealerships will be pushing to get the '13s off the lots.  Supposedly the '14s are coming in at some point this summer. 

Good luck!

The CRV is another one that crossed my mind. I need to figure out when the best time to purchase will be.
Message 8 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Great info!!! I'm not set on any options. I don't care about leather. Having a NAV system would be very nice to have for the amount of driving I do. I'd prefer an auto transmission.

Now you've got me thinking about a Subaru. I haven't driven a car since I was 16.

Subaru has really been geared towards fuel economy this year. So, the car won't be real fast, but it is still quick enough. Test drive them and see what you like. I liked the legacy more than the impreza. Both get over 30mpg without trying too hard. They both use CVT's in the standard 4 cyl. Actually kind of cool once you get used to it. 

To get factory nav, you have to get leather. I found a factory looking nav online and had it installed after I bought the car.

Message 9 of 11
bellrod44
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Subaru has really been geared towards fuel economy this year. So, the car won't be real fast, but it is still quick enough. Test drive them and see what you like. I liked the legacy more than the impreza. Both get over 30mpg without trying too hard. They both use CVT's in the standard 4 cyl. Actually kind of cool once you get used to it. 

To get factory nav, you have to get leather. I found a factory looking nav online and had it installed after I bought the car.

Did it cost you an arm and a leg to get the nav installed?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.