Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Re-finances

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Multiple Re-finances

Due to really needing a vehicle, but having poor credit, I had to take an extremely predatory loan from Santander at 20.49%. I, of course, want to re-finance ASAP. I'd like to do so after 6 mos (long shot I know) but if I could even come down by 2-3 percentage points..it would make a difference . I was wondering if anyone has re-financed more than once to get even deeper interest rate drops as credit improves? Is this possible or does it look bad to lenders?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple Re-finances

It's fine. Doesn't look bad other than the hit to AAoA. But like I said, just like a house, multiple refis especially when you face a high interest rate are perfectly fine (and advisable) to do.

Message 2 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

As long as you are getting better terms it is okay.

If the rate is lower and the length of the loan is shorter than what you have currently, then it will be fine.

The people that refi and continue to stretch out the length of their loan end up paying much, much more in interest. So be careful with all of the terms of the refi.

Message 3 of 11
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Yup its fine to do multiple refinances. Just make sure you're paying more than required payments and/or watching your Loan-to-Value.

Message 4 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Thanks all! I'm hoping that a year from now..my first Refi will drop my interest by 1/2

Message 5 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

Thanks all! I'm hoping that a year from now..my first Refi will drop my interest by 1/2

You can look up some success stories right on this board and see that people have refi'ed their vehicles after working on their credit to very low rates Smiley Happy

Some people have managed to increase their scores tremendously in a short time. Head over to the rebuilding board and look at the tips there for increasing your score.

Keep in mind that you first need to get rid of the baddies that affect your score ('newer' baddies) and build up positive revolving tradelines (cc's).

Don't go to the same lender you have now to refi the loan. When you are ready, go to a credit union and you will get much better results. Some people try to refi with their same lender not realizing that the current lender doesn't want to reduce the interest you are paying them - they get an automatic no and get discouraged. A new lender will give you much better rates once you have shown that you can make your current payments on time and in full too.

Message 6 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

The baddies are the hard part. They're all in the thousands so over the next year I'm going to be trying to save to get them settled/paid. At the same time, it's good because starting mid-2015 many of them will be aging off. I've gotten a fingerhut revolving, cap 1 secured , and Express Next CC to help with the good TLs ....However, searching for the car obliterated my INQs and "new credit" so now I've lost 40-something FICO pts so no -one will touch me. I'm going to wait a year....get my new auto loan paid down ...keep my current CCs under the 30% and hopefully my score will rebound.

Message 7 of 11
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

The baddies are the hard part. They're all in the thousands so over the next year I'm going to be trying to save to get them settled/paid. At the same time, it's good because starting mid-2015 many of them will be aging off. I've gotten a fingerhut revolving, cap 1 secured , and Express Next CC to help with the good TLs ....However, searching for the car obliterated my INQs and "new credit" so now I've lost 40-something FICO pts so no -one will touch me. I'm going to wait a year....get my new auto loan paid down ...keep my current CCs under the 30% and hopefully my score will rebound.

they will give it time....i year into an auto loan i refi'd from 20.57% down to 4.9%
Message 8 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

Due to really needing a vehicle, but having poor credit, I had to take an extremely predatory loan from Santander at 20.49%. I, of course, want to re-finance ASAP. I'd like to do so after 6 mos (long shot I know) but if I could even come down by 2-3 percentage points..it would make a difference . I was wondering if anyone has re-financed more than once to get even deeper interest rate drops as credit improves? Is this possible or does it look bad to lenders?

If if makes financial sense, then definitely do it!

Are you posting on the "Rebuilding" section?   There's so much good information there on how to address baddies.  I've been helped out A LOT over there!   I wish you the best of luck as you rebuild and get better loan rates (and yes, Santander sounds horrible!).

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 11
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

they will give it time....i year into an auto loan i refi'd from 20.57% down to 4.9%

That gives me sooooooo much hope!! Who did you refinance with if I may ask?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.