cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My income, or *our* income, if just me on the app?

tag
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

My income, or *our* income, if just me on the app?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to qualify for an auto loan in the next few months. My scores are in the 690-730 range, with some ancient baddies falling off in the next year. I have work to do to get my student loans right again, though somehow they're not showing up at this time. But right now I only work part time, with super erratic income. I might pull down $20K if nothing changes. Obviously I am hoping to get hired for real, but being conservative for the purposes of this discussion I'm sticking with the PT figure.

My husband is the real breadwinner @ $150K. He/we haven't always done this well, and he has some real baddies including a foreclosure and car repo in recent years (2010-2013-ish reporting). His scores are considerably lower, in 630-land, and I'm sure his auto-enhanced score would be even lower.

We live pretty frugally thanks to hard times habits formed, with very low ongoing monthly expenses relative to our income. Our cards are single-digit util. We can easily afford monthly payments on the modest used cars we're considering, and could afford payments for quite a while should financial disaster strike again. But does this even matter to a lender, or is it all about the score?

Are auto loans like credit cards, where I may count his income as my own since I have "reasonable access" to it? If not, can I co-sign his loan and hopefully he'd get a lower rate than whatever he'd qualify for, if he were to qualify at all? Unless I get hired full-time soon, I don't see qualifying on my own.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: My income, or *our* income, if just me on the app?

No, you can't count your spouse's income on your auto loan app unless your spouse is a co-borrower on the loan. You state that you live modestly and are looking at modest vehicles. How much money do you have to put down on a vehicle? If you can afford to put down 20%, I think you have a very good chance at getting financed on your own.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! 😊
FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.