Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Worst car buying exp. need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Worst car buying exp. need advice

Ok a little background scores were 580's in June planeed on getting a car in Jan for the new year well my scores as of last week were 680-690's only negative on my reports is a charge off repo in 2011 with a unpaid balance of 10K. I knew this would be a difficult task to get another auto loan. I decided I'd apply at DCU and CAP ONE if I was denied by both id just wait down more time for my repo to age.

I was pretty much instantly denied over the phone by DCU by a rude csr. She asks me about my repo and I told her it was when I was making 25% of my now annual income now I have money to afford a car payment. Came back on the phone and said "NO". I applied for cap 1 blank check and was instantly approved for 30k at 8.% I was hype!!!

So I find a truck meeting all the rules and stipulations of cap 1 call the dealer tell them the deal and they're like great! They call me back ask me my cap 1 numbers and promise me they can beat it by me telling them the specifics of my credit. 12 hps to cb they do beat it and I agree to the numbers. I get a call the fallowing morning and the dealer says the truck went on a test drive the night before and transmission went out they are sending it to auction...

Sooooo I need to find another car on their lot to match the numbers. I can't find anything I would want so on to the next dealer. Same truck same deal waaaay lower miles same deal dealer says we can beat cap one blah blah 10 hp's later they got a deal for me and again I agree to the numbers and will pick the truck up after I get home from out of town. Get a call next morning truck was on dealers lot too long (I call bs) they sent it off to auction find another car one one of their dealers lots. Can find anything in my price range to get.

Gets worse....

3rd and final dealer find a sweet deal on a benz 30k miles immicaulate Yesterday I had my kids and a million things to do super hectic day. I stop in the dealer just to look at the outside and if I liked I planned on going back Monday to drive and possibly leave with it. It falls well within cap ones perameters. I tell them I have my own financing already I'll be back Monday. My girl txts me and says your there might as well drive it to make sure it's drive right. (Mechanic so I know what to look listen an smell for) so I'm like fine I'll drive it shouldn't take but 20 min. Drive it loved it wanted it. Told the dealer at 430pm I don't have time for all the paper work can they call cap one verify the funds and and hold it till Monday when I could come back and sign. They then said if I sign today they will do 30k tax tt&l everything out the door. They didn't want me to leave. They asked my cap 1 numbers i told them and they of course said they could beat it. Going through cap one I had no down and 8.30% and a 611 payment 60 months. They run my credit another 12-15 hp's and they come back with 2k down 5.99% int 689 month 60 payments was like no way I'm not putting anything down I'll stick with cap. Then he counters with 0 down 5.99% 72 payments at 570. I agree to the terms sign the Nego papers and then off to finance I go. When I get back there my kids are restless at this point it's 7pm and they're hungry and bored. I didn't t plan on getting a car so I just wanted them to see it. The finance guy starts attacking me with all the papers and gap and warranty blah blah blah I noticed the numbers changed on the paper and called him out on it. It said 9.3%int 72 0.payments of 680 I was like no no and no and he said ohh my bad reprinted it after I verbaly told him the right numbers and he confirmed. Well I didn't catch the fact that he changed the numbers to what we agreed upon but then changed the total price financed. I was supposed to be 30k on the dot financed I was looking at all my papers today and it shows the 27k sticker price of vehicle is now 31999.99 and with taxes my total fianced was 35k I'm so pissed I didn't catch this there but had my kids and had soooo much to do and was running really late. I also noticed in all the contracts and all paper work that I signed they printed my name misspelled on EVERYTHIING!! I haven't taken delivery of the car yet because I couldn't get insurance on the car late last night. Ian supposed to pick the car up tomo. Do I have any play here aster as having the numbers fixed with right contracts or walking from the entire deal since I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle?

What are my options? What was supposed to be a swift car buying process went horrible. I went from 5inq on each cb to 20's on each in one week.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Worst car buying exp. need advice

You need to break this up into paragraphs.  Nobody is going to read it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what state you are in or the laws there but I know here in Illinois we have 3 days to return a car or back on on a deal, check your state laws and go in there tomorrow and request to talk to both the head of the dealership and the finance manager and tell them both that everything needs to be changed or you will cancel the whole deal. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH -- I read it.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know what state you are in or the laws there but I know here in Illinois we have 3 days to return a car or back on on a deal, check your state laws and go in there tomorrow and request to talk to both the head of the dealership and the finance manager and tell them both that everything needs to be changed or you will cancel the whole deal. 

Are you sure that's the law in Illinois because the 3 day rule is a great myth in the car buying world.  Typically state laws allow the 3 day rule when someone comes to your house and solicits business from you, such as vacuum sales ( if they still exist).  However when you're purchasing an auto you are initiating contact and therefore three day laws don't apply.  In most cases when you drive off the car lot, you own the car and have no right to return it.  Now in the OPs case he didn't drive the car off the lot so he has a lot of negotatiating power.  This still should be a lesson to all that regardless of how much of a hurry you are in and whatever distractions you might have have its your responsibility to read all the paperwork before you sign it.  Reading it after the fact isn't a legal justification for breaking a contract.   This is true whether it's buying a car, mortgage or signing a phone contract.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if it's too late, but I would probably back out of the deal and tell them you want to start over and just use the Capital One check. Or, backout all together and find another car but this time, don't have them try and get you financing. Use Capital One then refi when you can. It doesn't seem like the dealerships can give you a much better rate anyway.

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

and this is why i go to carmax.... i have never read so many shady dealers in 1 day!!

Call them and tell them to fix it and your name is wrong... you have not taken delivery of the car you can cancel the entire thing.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you thank you for confirming this for me!! I found another deal with a friend of mine who owns a dealer. He also promised me since I haven't drove off the lot I can back out. I called the dealer about the paper work and they are acting cool about it like it was an honest mistake and told me come in and they will fix it all. So tomo I'm either going to drop the deal all together and get a car from my really good friend or I'll ask them to come down if they want me to resign.
Message 8 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure that's the law in Illinois because the 3 day rule is a great myth in the car buying world.  Typically state laws allow the 3 day rule when someone comes to your house and solicits business from you, such as vacuum sales ( if they still exist).  However when you're purchasing an auto you are initiating contact and therefore three day laws don't apply.  In most cases when you drive off the car lot, you own the car and have no right to return it.  Now in the OPs case he didn't drive the car off the lot so he has a lot of negotiating power.  This still should be a lesson to all that regardless of how much of a hurry you are in and whatever distractions you might have have its your responsibility to read all the paperwork before you sign it.  Reading it after the fact isn't a legal justification for breaking a contract.   This is true whether it's buying a car, mortgage or signing a phone contract.

+1000.  Well said Irish80.  That "3-day" myth has been around for years with no basis in fact.  You do have a 3 day right of rescission if you refinance a mortgage and it is over $25,000  and that is Federal Law. There is also the door-to-door types sales that have the 3-day right of rescission.

But you do not have that same right for a vehicle purchase unless it is in writing in your contract.

Here is a link with more detail: http://boards.answers.findlaw.com/index.php/topic/192963-can-i-return-a-car-within-72-hrs/

http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/smart-shopping/home-shopping/3day-rule.shtml

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.