cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a car and would appreciate some advice

tag
jed11

Need a car and would appreciate some advice

My vehicle has died and I need another one.  myFICO score here is 575.  Anyone have any suggestions or advice as to my best options in a new car loan?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a car and would appreciate some advice

Why exactly is your score below 600? Derogatories?

Also what's your monthly income + rent/mortgage? What are the aggregate minimum payments across all credit cards? Finally what is your utilization ration for credit cards (total owed/total credit limits)?

Message 2 of 27
jed11

Thank you for asking Remember0.

The reason I have a 575 and not lower is because I have a long history of credit, mostly top-shelf.  The reason it is not higher is because I have a period of about a year and a half where it's rotten.  As a result, I have 3 IRS liens, 2 credit cards in default, and a dozen hospital bills that are in collection.

Now I feel obligated to explain... I am self-employed.  I developed a serious health problem and nearly died.  My finances fell in ruins during this time.  During my long period of recovery I was advised by counsel to file for bankruptcy.  For better or worse, I opted not to.  My health is still in recovery, but I am once again working and making money.  My financial circumstances are improving everyday.  

I made a payment arrangement with the IRS and have been making regular payments now for almost a year.  They still won't release the liens.  I'm paying on the defaulted credit cards even though they are in collection and I"ve made arrangements with the hospital to settle.  (None of this is reflected on my credit report.)

My mortgage is $900 a month.  I'm currently earning about $5,000 a month and I have two credit cards I have had for over 20 years that I pay off completely each month. So the ration of the two valid cards I have is 0 / 100 percent (except for what is current for the month).  

Message 3 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Wow, well first off I'm very sorry to hear what happened and I'm really glad that you made it out okay. The money stuff can be handled later, obviously your health is most important!

Now getting to the situation:

1) What's going to hurt the most is that tax lien. The collections accounts hurt, but not as much as the lien. You've probably already looked into it, but the IRS does seem to have a program here if you have a direct debit installment plan and owe under a certain amount: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Fresh-Start-Notice-of-Federal-Tax-Lie... . But I know you've most likely already looked into it. After it's paid, you can file to have that lien withdrawan...any guesstimates on around when that may be? PM me this, I'd hesitate to have you post in public because it has to do with the IRS.

2) Have you tried getting those collections off? It's worth I think reaching out to collections agencies and conditioning future performance on deletion (at least when fully paid), if possible imo. Also keep in mind if you've defaulted and it's been a while, it'll have been sold to the collection agency for pennies on the dollar. IMO it's not worth it to pay face value. Negotiate with them for payoff amount and a deletion at end of amount (often can be settled for 25-50%).

3) After you pay the hospital off, you can get it removed entirely. Eventually look up Whychat's HIPPA dispute (google it) after it's paid. Also don't forget to negotiate these amounts! Nobody pays sticker prices on medical bills...the insurance companies often have their negotiated rates at like 10% of the sticker price.

4) I realize these things are going to take a while to solve, and that you need a car now. The only thing we can work on ASAP to get your score up is util. Even though you PIF, the monthly charges that show up on a statement (aka the statement balance) still counts against util. What's the Total Statement balance/total credit limits? If that's high, a quick and dirty way to handle the situation would be to pay off BEFORE your statement cuts so that the statement shows 0 balance on one card and a balance for the other car < 10% of it's limit...that would optimize your FICO util wise.

Ultimately, I think you'll be able to be financed at a dealership. I'd apply to a bank like cap one online first and see what they give (they could very well decline). The only thing is the APR will be high. When are these issues going to sort themselves out (PM me if you want esp. w/ the IRS thing)? You can probably refi for a much lower rate down the road...the only question is when that's going to be.

Message 4 of 27
Jedimaster
Established Member

There's lenders that would be willing to finance you with that kind of credit score but the APR will be high, imo I would suggest getting a Co signer, and  after 7 months of on time monthly payments your score should go higher, then you could consider refinancing 

Message 5 of 27
jed11

I'm willing to accept a high APR temporarily while I get a handle on my issues, work through them and get them resolved. A cosigner is not an option at this time.

Jedimaster, you said "there's lenders that would be willing to finance you..." Could you please tell me who they are?

Remember0, without getting specific regarding the tax liens, suffice it to say they will not remove them at this time. They will consider it in 18 months, so I'm going to have to get what I can get with them on my report.

I have been offerred a payoff of about 30%, but the understanding I've gottem from researching this is it will mark the account as "settled, not paid as agreed" which is worse than making regular monthly payments toward the full balance. Is this not the case?

I'll investigate getting the hospital stuff removed. That's been settled and satisfied.

I've got about $8,000 credit available on the two cards I have and carry $1,000 on both combined from statement to statement.

Also, you mention applying online with CapOne. One of the cards is with CapOne. I have a perfect payment record with them. Do you know if they offer any special consideration for a longtime good customer?

Message 6 of 27
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

@jed11 wrote:

I'm willing to accept a high APR temporarily while I get a handle on my issues, work through them and get them resolved. A cosigner is not an option at this time.

Jedimaster, you said "there's lenders that would be willing to finance you..." Could you please tell me who they are?

Remember0, without getting specific regarding the tax liens, suffice it to say they will not remove them at this time. They will consider it in 18 months, so I'm going to have to get what I can get with them on my report.

I have been offerred a payoff of about 30%, but the understanding I've gottem from researching this is it will mark the account as "settled, not paid as agreed" which is worse than making regular monthly payments toward the full balance. Is this not the case?

I'll investigate getting the hospital stuff removed. That's been settled and satisfied.

I've got about $8,000 credit available on the two cards I have and carry $1,000 on both combined from statement to statement.

Also, you mention applying online with CapOne. One of the cards is with CapOne. I have a perfect payment record with them. Do you know if they offer any special consideration for a longtime good customer?

yes apply online under capital one auto loans it instant approval and they work with subprime

Message 7 of 27
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

@jed11 wrote:

yes apply online under capital one auto loans it instant approval and they work with subprime

Yes, Cap1 does work subprime but to not confuse this with you being guarenteed an instant approval. However, them, Wells Fargo, and a santander loan are probably your best options.

Message 8 of 27
jed11

asguy13, Santander would be only for a Chrysler product, correct?

Message 9 of 27
Jedimaster
Established Member

@jed11 wrote:

i would try app for Capital One Auto Financing first, as others have mentioned they work with subprime credit scores, that's your best bet, now if your do not get aproved you can try Santander also known as Road Loans they specialize in subprime financing, but be aware that your APR will be high, and expect to pay a downpayment.

And what ever you do please do Not go to a dealer and accept a buy her pay here dealer loan, the APR would be high, it will not help you build your credit as they would not report your loan and payments to Credit Reports.

As for your question, Santander does financing for any car make and brand

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.