Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new car- my credit score is off!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a new car- my credit score is off!

I need a car.

I found one and they said that my credit score was 576!!!!!!!

My Fico says it is 640, 635 and 642!

They said with my income, I could still get it with more cash down and a 12% interest rate........I think I can do better.

Why the discrepancy in my scores?  I have a pre-approval from Capital One Auto, but it is specific for a dealer that has NO inventory. 

Any thought?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Need a new car- my credit score is off!

@JSHammet wrote:

I need a car.

I found one and they said that my credit score was 576!!!!!!!

My Fico says it is 640, 635 and 642!

They said with my income, I could still get it with more cash down and a 12% interest rate........I think I can do better.

Why the discrepancy in my scores?  I have a pre-approval from Capital One Auto, but it is specific for a dealer that has NO inventory. 

Any thought?

Which ever lender you're using is using a different credit model. Could be FICO, could be some other company. Its almost never going to match. Go apply at several credit unions.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chrysler Financing pre-approved me for up to $81k......I'm looking for a a car under $20K, but not sure if the pre-approval means I am getting the loan.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont finance through the dealer. They will finance you through whoever can make them the most money. Go to a bank or credit union, get approved with them so tou dont have to go through dealer. Dont tell them you have financing until you know the costs or they will try to find other ways to make money
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an experience where the dealer said he could get me financing at 12%. I walked out, they immediately left me a voicemail saying they could finance at 4%. Surprise surprise
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the interest is kind of high?  Did you use your leverage from your fico scores?  I know they normally have a different score that they pull.  But it seems way off?

Message 6 of 8
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had an experience where the dealer said he could get me financing at 12%. I walked out, they immediately left me a voicemail saying they could finance at 4%. Surprise surprise

I like to ask them, "Why didn't you offer me 4% from the beginning?"

Just to hear their nonsense reason.

Message 7 of 8
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I like to ask them, "Why didn't you offer me 4% from the beginning?"

Just to hear their nonsense reason.

LOL...too funny

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.