Valued Member
aman31

Need auto loan.

I'm needing to trade in my car within 6 months. I went from no credit to a score of 633 with 4 months. I currently have a Dell account with $1200 limit, currently using 100%, but will be paid off before applying for the auto loan. Also, $500 capital one card. I've using the capital one card every month and paying off. Should I do anything else or just wait on time?

My local bank has a credit building loan. You can borrow $500-$1500, the funds go into a cd, then you make monthly loan payments for 12-36 months. I've thought about doing the $500 for 12 months, but wondered I have to wonder if it looks like I needed a loan for $500.

Any help is appreciated. I know this is the rebuilding thread, but i'm basically building. I'm 35 and never really needed credit until now. In the past, I was able to pay cash for my car. Thanks.

Starting Score:
myfico score watch 576 (6/4/14)
Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Need auto loan.

aman31 wrote:

I'm needing to trade in my car within 6 months. I went from no credit to a score of 633 with 4 months. I currently have a Dell account with $1200 limit, currently using 100%, but will be paid off before applying for the auto loan. Also, $500 capital one card. I've using the capital one card every month and paying off. Should I do anything else or just wait on time?

My local bank has a credit building loan. You can borrow $500-$1500, the funds go into a cd, then you make monthly loan payments for 12-36 months. I've thought about doing the $500 for 12 months, but wondered I have to wonder if it looks like I needed a loan for $500.

Any help is appreciated. I know this is the rebuilding thread, but i'm basically building. I'm 35 and never really needed credit until now. In the past, I was able to pay cash for my car. Thanks.

I wouldnt add any new accounts if your going for the auto loan in 6 months. Let everything age further that you have.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
havecollectionsaccounts

I agree with the previous comment of not engaging in any other loans. Since your credit history started 4 months ago, it won't look good that suddenly you are opening accounts. Keep your balances low and try to have a down payment. I would also apply for an auto loan with a credit union- they are more lenient on credit score and history versus other banks, they also have better rates. I had a 636 credit score to refi my car... Wells Fargo was able to give me 11.7% and a local credit union gave me 4.99%- HUGE difference! If you call local banks and provide them with your credit score, they can usually tell you if they are able to finance you and provide a general rate prior to applying. Good luck!

09/2012
TU- 638 (Lender Pull)
EXP- 644 (MyFico)
EQ- 678 (Lender Pull)
Mega Contributor
LS2982

havecollectionsaccounts wrote:

I agree with the previous comment of not engaging in any other loans. Since your credit history started 4 months ago, it won't look good that suddenly you are opening accounts. Keep your balances low and try to have a down payment. I would also apply for an auto loan with a credit union- they are more lenient on credit score and history versus other banks, they also have better rates. I had a 636 credit score to refi my car... Wells Fargo was able to give me 11.7% and a local credit union gave me 4.99%- HUGE difference! If you call local banks and provide them with your credit score, they can usually tell you if they are able to finance you and provide a general rate prior to applying. Good luck!

I agree, especially since your new with credit. Big banks will take advantage of that. CU's are more lenient.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+