Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to shop for a car... How long does it take for balances to update

tag
bobbay
Established Contributor

Need to shop for a car... How long does it take for balances to update

I am paying down several balances to get the best score bump I can.  On myfico it seems they report 3-4 days after the statement cut.  How much time should I allow for these $0 balances to report before going to the dealer and looking at a car.  I am looking to bring 6 accounts to $0 on the CR.

Also is there anything else i need to do.  I am in the rebuilding phase, scores now 648TU, 603 Exp, 613 EQ and that is with current UTIL 90% if i count balances on old closed accounts.  UTIL about 50% if i count open accounts.  After the balances are paid I will be at about 22% if I count closed accounts and 0% if I count open accounts.

Current car has 190k miles and will not pass inspection without $$$ into the black hole.

Last auto loans were paid off in 2002.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need to shop for a car... How long does it take for balances to update

What state?
What kind of car are you looking for?
What's bad on your reports?
Message 2 of 6
bobbay
Established Contributor

What state?  PA
What kind of car are you looking for?  Used 2012 Malibu or Equinox
What's bad on your reports? Yes

3 accounts closed in 2009 and finishing paying off in a couple of weeks show good payment history for past 2 years

couple of accounts settled legally paid less than full in 2010

A mortgage that has a load of late pays was behind to the tune of $50k----now current.

Several (5) new cc accounts with $0 bal or PIF each month.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 3 of 6
James82
Regular Contributor

You sound like you're in about the same situation I am. I started around the end of August, paid off all my CCs in September. You're correct about usually updating the CRAs a few days after statements close. If your cards all close the same time and you can pay them off before they close it could update to the CRAs quickly. My cards were all spread out over the month so a few of them updated quickly and I'm waiting for the last one to show it's new balance today or tomorrow.

In addition to what creditaddict asked, what are the balances and credit limits on the cards you have as well?

The more information you can provide the easier it will be for recommendations.

I just joined a credit union as well. My equifax score is the highest for me and they said they can pull it for the app, they're offering %1.99 for 72 months on new cars and discount it %.25 if you do direct debit which I'll take advantage of. I know a lot of people recommend not going over 60 months but I'll be paying additional principle and this way I'll have the lower 72 month payment to fall back on in case I need to.

Starting Score: EQ 574 - 08.28.13
High Score: EQ 714 (10/18/13) EX 686 (1/6/14) TU 664 (1/6/14)
Current Score: EQ 686 - EX ____- TU ____

Message 4 of 6
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

If your stuck on an Equinox or Malinu, why not look for a 2008-2009 model?  Much cheaper, and just as reliable.  Your still paying a premium for a 2011-2012 automobile on the retail side.

$10,000.00 will get you a NICE Malibu.... (If you think there nice obviously).....Don't buy one with under 50K miles.. You pay far too much more money.  

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
FaaastCash
Established Member

One of the first steps in financing a car is to get a grip on your credit rating. A poor credit history can result in a higher interest rate or even loan disqualification. Before you buy a car, find out what it will cost to insure it. Each state has different requirements when it comes to auto insurance, Know your state's requirements.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.