Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Equity (again)

tag
a2rob-one
New Visitor

Negative Equity (again)

Question and advise. I have been nissans for the past 10 years. All financed through NMAC. Last year i traded in an 10 maxima for a 12 maxima. I now need a larger vehicle for an addition to family. Looking at a $39,000 pathfinder. In the past I would got into the dealership and drive out. ( I believe that I am considered a repeat/loyal customer or something of that nature) I noticed on my bill of sale from the 12 maxima their was some negative equity of about $6000.00. 

My concern is that I priced the trade in through KBB and they state given the condition and mileage under 30k that it is worth about 24K. I owe 36K on the vehicle. So if I were to put 10 to 15k down on the new vehicle, what would be my chances for getting the pathfinder? I know that I can go in and discuss with a dealer, just thought I would get an inside opinion first!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Negative Equity (again)

Well depending on the trade in value the dealer gives you then you are looking at about $11K negative by your own figures. So your down payment would cover that. The dealer could use any discount or rebates as a further down on the new vehicle (which would reduce your negative position in the new car depreciation). So if your income will support the loan then I would say that your chances are solid.

Do yourself a favor and don't let the dealership talk you into lowering your down payment and burying negative equity in this deal (again). Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Well depending on the trade in value the dealer gives you then you are looking at about $11K negative by your own figures. So your down payment would cover that. The dealer could use any discount or rebates as a further down on the new vehicle (which would reduce your negative position in the new car depreciation). So if your income will support the loan then I would say that your chances are solid.

Do yourself a favor and don't let the dealership talk you into lowering your down payment and burying negative equity in this deal (again). Smiley Wink

Great advice! It is amazing what car dealerships will do to put you into a vehicle. Sadly, a lot of times it will cost you more in the long run

Message 3 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Can you hold out any longer with your Maxima?

Remember, you are allowed to pay more than your minimum payment on the auto loan. 

If you don't need those 7 seats for awhile. Think about making extra principle only payments on the Maxima.

The Maxima is a big car, maybe you can make it work a bit longer.

Try to get into equity, plus have a good down payment together.

Work on finding a solid deal on the next vehicle before you arrive. Check out the stickied thread about buying a car.

Get the shortest term you can afford, 36 months is usually good.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Dustink wrote:

Can you hold out any longer with your Maxima?

Remember, you are allowed to pay more than your minimum payment on the auto loan. 

If you don't need those 7 seats for awhile. Think about making extra principle only payments on the Maxima.

The Maxima is a big car, maybe you can make it work a bit longer.

Try to get into equity, plus have a good down payment together.

Work on finding a solid deal on the next vehicle before you arrive. Check out the stickied thread about buying a car.

Get the shortest term you can afford, 36 months is usually good.

^^^Yes! This is good advice above^^^.  Burying yourself in negative equity from vehicle to vehicle leads to financial difficulty. Trading in every one to two years is a guarantee for negative equity.

The time to put a stop to this rolling stone gathering more and more negative equity is now. Make your next purchase a solid one by not rolling negative equity into it at all,

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.