Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Auto Loan want to PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Auto Loan want to PIF

Just got an auto loan last week but would like to PIF by the first payment date which is 2/2/18.

The auto loan is with Chase, we told the financing person at the dealership our plan and he said to request a "10 Day Payoff" so there isn't any residual amount left we forget to payoff due to interest.

Our Auto Loan is through Chase (what the paperwork said at the dealership), they told us our financing charges from 12/17-2/2/18 would be under $30. What are your thoughts on this?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Auto Loan want to PIF

It would be impossible to know wether or not the finance charge's are $30 for that date range without more information. Such as APR, amounted financed, finance term (54/60/72 mo?) and day's until first payment. An easy way to find out what you will pay in interest in call Chase and get a payoff amount for 10 days out, and also ask for the Per Diem. The Per Diem is the daily amount of interest charged on a loan.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amount financed $19,600
APR 5.9%
Days until PIF 45

Though I wasn't too much asking what the amount will be. I was more or less asking is PIF by the first payment date a good idea, what are the ramifications, and any other information that might be helpful? But if you do know the finance charge I'd like to know because at first the sales rep said they wouldn't charge us a finance charge if PIF within 45 days. Then the finance person said he was mad the sales rep said that, and told us it shouldn't be more than $30.

Also, they offered us to extend the warranty for $1,400 is that a good idea or ripoff?

Sorry this is our first car purchase
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amount financed $19,600
APR 5.9%
Days until PIF 45

Though I wasn't too much asking what the amount will be. I was more or less asking is PIF by the first payment date a good idea, what are the ramifications, and any other information that might be helpful? But if you do know the finance charge I'd like to know because at first the sales rep said they wouldn't charge us a finance charge if PIF within 45 days. Then the finance person said he was mad the sales rep said that, and told us it shouldn't be more than $30.

Also, they offered us to extend the warranty for $1,400 is that a good idea or ripoff?

Sorry this is our first car purchase!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will abosolutely pay finance charges for the days since you contracted until you pay it off. Paying it off won't necessarily hurt your score unless its the only installment loan you have open.

As far as the extended warranty it just depend's what it cover's, deductible, mileage/term expiration. Always know that extended warranties can be negotiated down in price, that warranty could very well have $500-1000 worth of profit in that price so try and negotiate a better price once you find out the terms of the warranty. Is it a comprehensive ( bumper to bumper) or a power train warranty?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think the financing charges would exceed $30 in the given timeframe?

We have comprehensive for 3 years already.

I believe it's for powertrain to change it from 60k to 100k miles.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing short math on my own it looks like it would be $96 per 30 days financing charges with $19.6k financed @ 5.9% which is definitely not $30 and a lot more than the promised amount of $0.

Am I missing something? I'm okay with paying up to $30, but not $100.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

With my rough calculations your going to pay north of $100 in finance charges. Unfortunately it's your responsibility to pay those charges regardless of what the dealership told you.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

A powertrain warranty extending it 40k miles for $1400 sounds a little bit pricey, if that is something you are interested in, I would recommend trying to negotiate the price down to 900-1000. But, do know, that a powertrain warranty isn't all that it is cracked up to be, they normally only cover major malfunction's within the engine/transmission/driveaxe/awd four wheel drive system. For example, if a check engine light comes on for a mass air flow sensor that is faulty, that is not covered under powertrain warranty. Now if your transmission goes out or start's slipping, that is covered. If you are interested in a warranty I would inquire about a comprehensive warranty that extends it from the factory 3/36k to something higher but only at a decent cost. A comprehensive warranty will cover nearly all items on a vehicle excluding routine maintnance item's such as tires, belts, hoses, etc.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So we can't file a complaint against the dealership? We have no recourse?

I live in MN and it says that's considered a verbal contract which is enforceable the same as a written contract. I'm okay paying up to $30, but $100 no way I'm definitely not okay with that. Originally we were promised $0 in financing charges if PIF by the first payment due date (within 45 days).
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.