Established Contributor
bahbahd

New CC before/after auto loan?

If I can make up my darn mind on what make/model/year, I will be getting a car soon. Are auto loans just as sensitive to new credit as mortgages? I only have two open revolvers right now and I am looking to add one or two more soon. I'm thinking of the US Bank REI card (to get 5% back on REI purchases) and the US Air Barclays card, to get in on miles that will eventually transfer to my AA account.  If I go for the cards now, will it hurt my chances for auto loan or negatively effect rates I can qualify for?

pizzadude

Re: New CC before/after auto loan?

bahbahd wrote:

If I can make up my darn mind on what make/model/year, I will be getting a car soon. Are auto loans just as sensitive to new credit as mortgages? I only have two open revolvers right now and I am looking to add one or two more soon. I'm thinking of the US Bank REI card (to get 5% back on REI purchases) and the US Air Barclays card, to get in on miles that will eventually transfer to my AA account.  If I go for the cards now, will it hurt my chances for auto loan or negatively effect rates I can qualify for?

Nope.   In general it is much easier to get approved for an auto loan than for a mortgage.   However be aware of the overall effects of new credit on your FICO score, such as lower AAoA, inquiries, etc...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+