Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Car Loan Quandary.. Thoughts?

tag
TinksDelite
New Visitor

New Car Loan Quandary.. Thoughts?

Hubs & I are 5-6 mths out of Chapter 13.  I was able to get a secured CapOne MC ($200) 30 days out & an unsecured CapOne Rewards MC 2 mths ago ($2000); but Hubs is very underemployed right now so other than me putting him as an authorized user on the $2k CapOne,  he hasn't opened any new accounts post BK.

I was trying to put off a new car as long as possible but the repairs on our 11 yr old cars are really getting to be too much ($6200+ this last year alone w/ possible transmission problems brewing on mine).

I make $95k a year but my EXP FICO is 643/FAKO is a sad 620.  My husband's FAKO is 675 but only has a (verifiable) income of $5k a year right now. 

Will I get a better rate if we apply jointly or should I just try on my own? 

I don't want to burn too many inquires shopping around since mine score seems so 'precarious'... If I apply for several, will it kill my score? 

We JUST joined a credit union (Community Powered), but I don't know how they are w/ BKs and  I haven't developed a good relationship with them yet; Do I try with CapOne (blank check)?  Or do I try with Toyota (since I'm leaning towards a Rav4)?

Gah.. help!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: New Car Loan Quandary.. Thoughts?

Don't worry about the INQ's and score... shouldn't cost you really any points if done within a 30 day period... not to mention you are in a BK bucket that will actually probably help your score and profile not be effected negatively with INQ and new accounts.

I would apply with Capital One

and then take your approval and go to Toyota Dealership and apply in person to beat it.... don't apply only for toyota, the dealership can do a lot if they want to sell the car and are big.

Toyota will pull Auto Enhanced Fico also so with any luck your fako you have won't be as low as your auto score.... and 650 gets you special rates tier 3 lease with Toyota!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.