Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Car Purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Car Purchase

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum and I need some advice. This is my situation:

I'm 20 years old and I'm currently interested in purchasing a $20,000 vehicle with $1,000 down. I currently have another vehicle which I financed for $12,000 a year ago and for which I  currently owe $6,400 to. I currently have $6,000 to pay my current car loan which would bring my balance down to $400 (which I could pay off in the next week). My question is, should I wait until I completely finish paying off this installment account in order to finance another car (since I believe my credit report for that loan won't be updated until next month) or is it okay to apply for a loan on that new car? Would it affect my chances of financing if they see another open installment account for $6,4 even though I paid it off for the most part? My credit is new - 2 years average account age to be exact. I no one can say for sure, but it is possible to get a good APR? Also, I may be wrong on the times my installment account balance is updated on my credit score. Would it take about a month?

My last question is how badly would this loan ding my credit in your opinion?

My credit scores are:

TransUnion: 767

Equifax: 736

I know, I know. 20 million questions in one shot but thanks in advance for your help you guys!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tpere925
Established Member

Re: New Car Purchase

Are you replacing the car by trading it in or just adding another car to the household?  Most lenders like to see one open auto loan per person unless a solid credit score and budget allow it.  It looks like your score is solid and as long as you have a healthy mix of trade lines your fine any way you'd like to do it. I think your apr might be a bit lower if you pay off your current open auto.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be adding a car to the household. I'm giving my current one to my mom.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it would help to pay off the current vehicle.  My wife and are going to try and purchase a 2nd vehicle next month and we are currently on our 1st car loan.  But I am waiting for my ne balances to hit my eq report so that my scores look better.  My cu loan officer says with 650 we could qualify for 9% on 25000, no money down.  Good luck on your new purchase, although it looks as though you should be okay.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.