Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New or Used

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New or Used

FMC- that's good to know!! Thank You! I'm going to look into AAA more and see. I did get a quote from them last week I did get it at the dealership but they charged 4.2K for 60,000/60 months I have cancelled that and when I called triple A they quoted me 2.9K for 60 months/50,000 so the dealer really does mark up their prices. Both plans are exactly the same (covers the same exact things and are both the best plan that each company has to offer) CNS (one from the dealership) had a $100 deductible while AAA has 0 if you go to one of their facilities, $50 if you go one that is not theirs but they are affiliated with and $100 to go anywhere you want tat is not AAA or affiliated with AAA I signed up for a year with their basic membership and when I did I asked for a quote for their extended warranty. I firmly believe if we get one again it will be through AAA just have to think about it real hard. There are so many different stories about whether they are worth it or not and that is what scares me no matter which way we go so thanks so much for your story!

Which was another reason i started regretting not buying new. Of course you have the 36,000/36 month warranty plus the Powertrain and if you plan to keep the car longer then that and wanted a extended warranty they are so much cheaper when new and more companies even the cars original manufacture are willing to offer them (even though they are underwritten from normal extended warranty companies) just having your manufactures name on the warranty seems to ease more people's mind then having one with a company you are not fimilar with (if that makes sense) like VW if you buy a extended warranty under 36,000 miles you can buy it from VW's easy drive program (IIRC) which is basically a extended warranty from Fideilty (who anyone can get a extended warranty through) but if you are over 36,000 miles you can still get a warranty through Fidelty it's just VW name won't be anywhere on the paperwork (im doing a lot of research lol)
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BUYING USED. You were smart by finding a nice vehicle that you like without breaking the bank. I bought last year and it was fine; traded the car since it did not suit my family long-term. With AAA you put down I think either 10 or 20% of the warranty price and you can finance the renaining balance over 18 months interest free no credit check. You can cancel it at any time if you sell the car. After you pruchase it, there is a 30 day waiting period to use it.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you FMC, did you buy new this time around? If so did you have any negative equity and if so how did you handle it to best accommodate you? Was it hard to get a company to finance you with negative equity? Im just trying to get all the info I can now about everything just in case anything happens. I try to plan as best as possible (even though it hard to do with life in general) thank you again for helping me feel better and congrats on your new car!!
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also FMC, I just remembered you were the one who was asking about Chrysler....when you bought your car through Chrysler I'm guessing it was a Chrysler and wanted to ask if you got a lot of rebates? I read that Chrysler Is giving 3K-6K back in incentives and rebates. Also I know you had the pre approval online so when u went in to use that did you have to bring anything in with you? Like the preapproval paper, proof of residence or pay stubs? I'm not asking for now but financially our next minivan whenever that would be would probably be a Chrysler town and country either new or used and was wondering how Chrysler capital works. Thanks again for all of your help
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I was asking a lot of questions!! The car I purchased only had 2K in rebates in March from Chrysler but the dealer I purchased from was vey agressive in their pricing. The pruchase price before D&H(garbage I know), tax, reg, gap ins was 6000 below sticker(actual MSRP not marked up for regional adj and other stuff) . Negative equity was 3K. I only had to supply my driver license, proof of insurance and thats it. No pay stubs ect. I brought in the pre-approval e-mail but it was not necessary as the pre-apporoval gets sent to each dealer but I would bring it in anyway. I know you are playing into dealer hands by doing so but in my case it worked for the better since I found a great dealership to work with.

I sent Chrysler pre-approvals to 2 other dealerships and they would not disclose the int rate to me until ready to purchase. They told me it was marketing gimmick; I guess 2 HP's is a gimmick.   Once you decide you would like to purchase a Chrysler product, you can do the pre-approval on-line at Chrysler capital . Just be sure to do as many as you want within 7 days and they will use the same HP from Equifax for all the pre-approvals. I did not and that was the only mistake I made, I did the other 2 about 10 days later even though it is only 1 inq in the eyes of the bureau's.

One small note in general. Good car salesmen(there a few out there like anything else) work hard for your business IMO. I drove my salesman over to a gas punp down the street from the dealership I purchased from and he was the one who filled the purchased car with gas on a stormy night.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow that's awesome. Thanks so much for all of the information its very helpful!! Thank you again
Message 26 of 27
camera_jen
New Contributor

The car I own now, I bought used and it was a total lemon.  The person before me didn't take care of it and I had a lot of very costly repairs.  BUT through that and talking with the mechanics, they told me that the problem with used cars is when you buy them with a lot of miles.  If you buy one with 20k miles and the person didn't service it regularly, it isn't really enough to cause damage.  I bought a car with 70k miles that had never been serviced and ended up paying dearly for it.  This is the first car I've purchased that had these issues.  Every other used car has been wonderful.  Now that the major repairs are done and the car is paid off I'm going to keep it a couple more years.  And when I trade it, I will get another used car that is a year or two old.  

Volkswagons are really good cars.  45k on a VW is like 10k on another car.  They last forever.   

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.