Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New or used with my file

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

New or used with my file

I have an income of $35,000 my fico scores are 637 across all 3 CRA I have a few baddies on my credit all are 3-4 years old my uti is around 17% I plan to have that down to 3-5% by applying time my AAoA is 1yr 9 months now my oldest account is 14 yrs I do have a lot of inquiry that's why I'm waiting till January but my question is should I buy new or used what would be my best odds I'm looking to buy a car under $20,000 if that helps
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: New or used with my file

Either or. The only difference is new cars have rebates, which in return looks like a down payment to the lender and puts the finance amount a bit lower than the MSRP. Used they are usually right at blue book so you may have to put more down. Realistically I would go used and put a little down, as the car will have already lost its initial value going from new to used. I bought two new cars one in 13' and one in 14' and wish I would have found them with low miles and webt that route.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 9
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I'd lease something. Lease a $20k car. Your payment will be low and you won't be stuck with a 20k after your credit gets better and you decide to get something nicer. A Corolla or a Jetta... 20k Jettas lease in the min 2xx with minimum out of pocket.

Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Do some research on leased vehicles - IMO it is the worst way to go. You pay a very high rate (a/k/a money factor) which is mainly hidden from you. At the end of the lease you have nothing. All you have done for the entire lease period is pick up an expense and no corresponding asset. Normally leasing is good for the car dealership and bad for you except in very limited, narrow circumstances.  This is JMO.

If you buy something used, late model, low miles, you don't get hit with the large depreciation that occurs when you buy a new vehicle. You get a decent payment when you negotiate a good price and have your financing in place before you get to the dealer. Separate the transaction so all you are doing is buying the vehicle from the dealer - don't let them finance it. Get your financing from a CU - you only have 1 or 2 HPs and usually get the best rates from a CU.

Message 4 of 9
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

Not true at all. You can always as what the lease money factor is. And if you take same exact car, and say lease it for 3 years and finance it for 5... Say you put nothing down in both cases and make similar payment or total $ paid within 3 years... You will have exactly the same. NOTHING. Residuals guarantee you future value... When purchasing you have no guarantees. To think that you can break the equity barrier faster in a purchase is wrong. Plus, you will have to finance tax on the FULL sale price of the car AND pay interest on it. Leasing is THE best way to drive a new car. The reason dealers like leasing over financing is because we get a chance to sell or lease another car to the customer at the end of the lease term (say 3 years vs 5 years on the purchase). For the sale reason manufacturers put more rebates and incentives if you lease. And when leasing, you have less of a possibility to be upside down. Only logical reason to buy the car over leasing it is if you plan on keeping it forever... Which is something that people always say, but US statistics says otherwise... People always trade up or down. Keeping a car after its warranty runs out if a nighmare if you buying something of quaity. Finally, if you lease today you can turn it into a purchase at any time. You dont have to wait until the lease term ends. If you finance the car, you are commiting to a long term contract with the only way out being to sell it. With lease you have options. With lease you get to drive more car for less money.

Just my 0.02 Rubbles.

Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@RussianPassion wrote:

Not true at all. You can always as what the lease money factor is. And if you take same exact car, and say lease it for 3 years and finance it for 5... Say you put nothing down in both cases and make similar payment or total $ paid within 3 years... You will have exactly the same. NOTHING. Residuals guarantee you future value... When purchasing you have no guarantees. To think that you can break the equity barrier faster in a purchase is wrong. Plus, you will have to finance tax on the FULL sale price of the car AND pay interest on it. Leasing is THE best way to drive a new car. The reason dealers like leasing over financing is because we get a chance to sell or lease another car to the customer at the end of the lease term (say 3 years vs 5 years on the purchase). For the sale reason manufacturers put more rebates and incentives if you lease. And when leasing, you have less of a possibility to be upside down. Only logical reason to buy the car over leasing it is if you plan on keeping it forever... Which is something that people always say, but US statistics says otherwise... People always trade up or down. Keeping a car after its warranty runs out if a nighmare if you buying something of quaity. Finally, if you lease today you can turn it into a purchase at any time. You dont have to wait until the lease term ends. If you finance the car, you are commiting to a long term contract with the only way out being to sell it. With lease you have options. With lease you get to drive more car for less money.

Just my 0.02 Rubbles.

A couple of points to the above rebuttel:

1) Naturally you can ask what the money factor is - and hopefully you know the way to convert it to interest rate. I am just saying that many people enter into a lease without having that very important piece of info - and don't do the conversion before they sign.  Those that are here do their research - that's why they are here.

2) RussianPassion mentions "Break the equity barrier faster" - there never is equity in a lease. Period. Never. That is the point of a lease. If you purchase you eventually have equity. Sooner if you have low interest rate and don't trade an upside vehicle to get into the new one. Equity is a function of the deal you negotiate. Negotiate poorly and you may never have equity. Dealerships know this and bank on it (pun intended).

3) RussianPassion mentions "Keeping a car after its warranty runs out is a nightmare..."  Not my experience in over 40 years of vehicle ownership.  This is one of those areas that has more to do with your attitude - if you fear it, then you will need a warranty. If you keep your vehicle maintained regularly and save the cost of the warranty for repairs, then you won't fear the repairs. Some people just feel better having a warranty. The rest of us would rather pay for a repair than a warranty that may or may not cover the item that needs repair.

4) Lastly he speaks of 'long term' - at the end of a 3 year lease you have nothing. At the end of a 3 year purchase, if you have negotiated a good interest rate and a shorter term and a decent purchase price, you have equity. If you want to have a new vehicle every year or two, than leasing is probably for you. If you keep your vehicles for several years than a purchase is probably more appropriate. Several is 3+ years IMO.

Many car sales reps want you to lease because they have a recurring customer guaranteed plus the vehicle comes back to sell to someone else so they are generating their own market. The dealership makes more money on the transaction if you lease. Plus they "sell" the vehicle twice: once for a 3 yr lease and then again when the lease is turned in at lease termination.

If you don't mind vehicle shopping every year or two (as in a lease), then leasing is probably the way to go for you. IMO, vehicle shopping is not something I want to do frequently - so I would rather buy and pay it off as soon as possible. I like driving a vehicle without payments. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

I have a good relationship with my CU as I've used them a few times in the past for loans. As for a lease isn't leases usually for people with flawless credit or that's what I've always thought and don't you have to put down larger amounts of money at signing sorry for all the questions guys I've just never bought or leased a car from a dealership before
Message 7 of 9
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

your credit doesnt need to be flawless to lease. If leasing be careful because there are more hidden charges and most people don't ask questions about the money factor. In your situation leasing might not be a bad idea to keep your debt to income/monthly payments low. if you decide to buy used, keep in  mind the interest rate will be higher regardless of credit because its a used vehicle. if you think you will keep the car longer than 3 years you probably should buy. and if you decide to lease its better NOT to put a lot of money down in most cases.

Message 8 of 9
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks a lot I didn't think about DTI factor
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.