Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit and want auto loan..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to credit and want auto loan..

I had gotten my first credit card 9 months ago with no late payments or anything negative. and when I go to check my credit score on CreditKarma, it says my score from transunion and equifax is 704. Is that legit? How long of a credit history do I need for a decent interest auto loan? I want to try to get a 18,000 car with a  10,000 auto loan from Chase bank. Help please I'm new to this credit stuff..

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pistons0
Valued Member

Re: New to credit and want auto loan..

Your best bet is to sign up for the monthly credit monitoring service this site provides to get your accurate Eq, EX, TU scores from the three bureau's as your CK score could be anywhere from within 10 points of those or 100 points off.

Get those numbers so you have somewhere to start in your car buying experience. 9 months history isn't ideal but it's more than I had when I financed my first car on my own Smiley LOL .... 

I'm assuming for 18k you're going for a used car or a new base model sedan, If you go the used car route, and your true scores are above 675 the look into DCU (google it) best auto rates (1.99%) for used car loans in the country, believed they're based out of the northeast. 

New car route anything over 675 score with no baddies will get you tier 1-3 credit through any of the major lenders, and seeing how you're willing to put nearly 8k down your payment would be very small. 

Feel free to ask more questions!

Scores 5/1/15: EX 746 TU 743 EQ 746

Capital One QS1 $3,800... Capital One QS $3,050... Amex BCE $2,000... Best Buy Store Card $1,000...Discover IT for students $500
Message 2 of 3
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: New to credit and want auto loan..

Scores typically start out high, but I'm sure you know it takes more than a score to get approved. Its possible you can get approved. But there's also a good chance getting denied with the reason, 'due to lack of credit history'.

I would suggest getting another credit card. Look for no annual fee, rewards credit card. As far as your auto loan, you can apply now and see if you get approved. If not, then you'll need to get a co-signer.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.