cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the USA. Want to get a car loan in 4-6 months. Tips and suggestions welcome...

tag
zurichfaust
New Visitor

New to the USA. Want to get a car loan in 4-6 months. Tips and suggestions welcome...

I came to the US in May 2012. I have been working since December 2012, pretty much as soon as my Green Card was received and I have obtained the following credit:

Capital One Secured (Jan 13) - $200

Discover IT card (March 13) - $750

Capital One Newcomers (July 2013) - $500

JC Penney (July 2013) - $100

Amazon (July 2013) - $1200

Walmart (July 2013) - $600

My wife and I want to be able to buy a new car shortly. Are we on the right track with credit? Is there anything else I should be doing to make sure that we can qualify for a car loan in the next 4-6 months? I was told that it is good to have different lines of credit and show that you're responsible with it. We always pay our balances in full each month and never carry anything over to the next month.

My wife doesn't have any credit as she's not working (stays at home with our daughter), but she is an authorized user on all of my cards.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: New to the USA. Want to get a car loan in 4-6 months. Tips and suggestions welcome...

Moving to auto loans
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: New to the USA. Want to get a car loan in 4-6 months. Tips and suggestions welcome...

@zurichfaust wrote:

I came to the US in May 2012. I have been working since December 2012, pretty much as soon as my Green Card was received and I have obtained the following credit:

Capital One Secured (Jan 13) - $200

Discover IT card (March 13) - $750

Capital One Newcomers (July 2013) - $500

JC Penney (July 2013) - $100

Amazon (July 2013) - $1200

Walmart (July 2013) - $600

My wife and I want to be able to buy a new car shortly. Are we on the right track with credit? Is there anything else I should be doing to make sure that we can qualify for a car loan in the next 4-6 months? I was told that it is good to have different lines of credit and show that you're responsible with it. We always pay our balances in full each month and never carry anything over to the next month.

My wife doesn't have any credit as she's not working (stays at home with our daughter), but she is an authorized user on all of my cards.

Welcome to the forums. You're at the right place for advice. You're on the right track with credit. You have plenty of trade lines for now.

Your positives:

1. # of tradelines is good - you have 6 which is fine for now.

2. Utilization is good - You should be less than 10% if you're paying off in full.

Your negatives:

1. AAoA is short - You've only had credit for a few months. Your accounts need more age to show good history.

2. Too many recent inquiries - You have 6 inquires in the past year, anything more than 2 is considered high.

My suggestions to you:

1. Don't apply for anything else other than the car loan in 4-6 months.

2. If you can afford it, increase your deposit on your capital one card. This will increase your credit line on it and your total available credit.

3. You may want to add your wife as a joint owner instead of authorized user on your credit cards.

I think you should be fine getting a car loan. What I'm not so sure is what type of rate you will qualify for. If you do not get a rate you're happy with, remember you can refinance. Once your credit cards have enough age, close the cap one secured. Or at least that's my suggestions because I don't like annual fees. And its only purpose is to build credit history which you wont need when your accounts are older. Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 4
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

I was in the same situation as you. Ask for a CLI from discover to 5k. Read my previous posts from the beginning of September, I'm sure you will find them helpful. I was approved for 0% loan from toyota with exactly six months credit history. Don't apply for any more store cards, they are useless and it will make it harder for you to get decent credit cards in the next year due to all the new accounts. There are many good sign up bonuses and cards with 0% interest that are way better than store cards. If you don't have anything bad in your report there is no good reason to have them. Good luck.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.