Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎06-11-2008

New vs. Used

In terms of interest rate, do you receive a better rate if you finance a new car versus a used car?  I noticed on loan applications that they ask if the car will be new or used.


"I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see. Because this broken road prepares your will for me." - Jeremy Camp
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎07-25-2007

Re: New vs. Used

Better rates offered for new cars. Less risk on a new car versus a used car. 

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score: EX 794, EQ 787, TU 776
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Posts: 866
Registered: ‎09-22-2011

Re: New vs. Used

Cotton_Britches wrote:

In terms of interest rate, do you receive a better rate if you finance a new car versus a used car?  I noticed on loan applications that they ask if the car will be new or used.

  A new car purchase will always have a better interest rate.  So do the math to determine whats best for you.  A lower interest rate with a higher price vs a higher interest rate with a lower price.  Sometimes the interest rate may not be your best option.

Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: New vs. Used

Car Condition (New vs Used): Lender will favor (lower rates) new cars over used cars because there is less of a risk involved. There are instances, however, with a relatively new 'used' car will pull the same rate as a completely new one. For example, with BECU, I know if the car is 3 years old or newer, it can potentially qualify for the 'New Car' rate.


For more info, see this thread

New Member
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-30-2012

Re: New vs. Used

Being this post is almost 2 weeks old, I assume you've probably already bought a car. For the benefit of others who might be reading this though, buying new is almost (in at least 90% of transactions) always a bad deal for the consumer, and always great for the dealer and the bank. The other 10% of those transactions involve someone paying for that new car in cash. You finance a brand new car for 60-72 months for a "great interest rate" and then lose over the course of that time about 40% of the value. Yea, THAT'S financial saviness. (Insert Sarcasm) This is even true for the so-called 0% offers. It's not a great deal when you lose that value in your car. If you have to finance a vehicle, show yourself some control, and forego that new car smell, find a good vehicle that is about 2-3 years old, and finance it.  Yes, you will pay a slightly higher interest rate, but you're not losing that value that the poor schmuck who bought it new did. Then, pay it off as fast as possible. Websites like myFico are in business to push credit, which when you think about it, they're in the business to push debt. The best thing you can do for yourself is stay out of debt, and buying a new car will not, I say again, WILL NOT help you do that.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.