cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nissan Financing

tag
amzmom

Nissan Financing

I have an open Nissan loan that is current/never late. Filed CH7 BK after nasty divorce in 6/13 and reaffirmend auto loan. Have opened some new credit lines and am current on all accts. EQ FICO is 623. I went to Nissan to trade in a car that my mother purchased and that I drive. The Nissan that I purchased is driven by my college aged daughter. The dealership says that NIssan does not want to open a second loan  for me without putting my daughter's name on loan, saying that I'm one person, why do I need two cars? If one is for my daughter, then she should be on the loan too. Supposedly this is to prevent people from buying cars for others. Has anyone had this experience? Is this a common practice? Are there other finance companies that would not have this condition?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Nissan Financing

@amzmom wrote:

I have an open Nissan loan that is current/never late. Filed CH7 BK after nasty divorce in 6/13 and reaffirmend auto loan. Have opened some new credit lines and am current on all accts. EQ FICO is 623. I went to Nissan to trade in a car that my mother purchased and that I drive. The Nissan that I purchased is driven by my college aged daughter. The dealership says that NIssan does not want to open a second loan  for me without putting my daughter's name on loan, saying that I'm one person, why do I need two cars? If one is for my daughter, then she should be on the loan too. Supposedly this is to prevent people from buying cars for others. Has anyone had this experience? Is this a common practice? Are there other finance companies that would not have this condition?

I think that this is the dealership's way of saying that the finance company wants a cosigner, either for credit or income purposes, or both.    I'm not aware that Nissan has a "one-loan per person" policy;  most financiers will offer multiple loans if you qualify with income & credit.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
amzmom

If the  finance company wants a cosigner they could just say so. Really makes no sense, considering Nissan gave me a loan with a 2.9% APR when my credit was worse than it is now. The customer service lady from the dealership just called and I told her I was unhappy. She said she would talk to the finance manager and get back to me. We'll see.

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah, it's the dealership that is the middleman between you and the finance company;   they'll quite often bend / twist / exaggerate / etc... in order to get the deal done.    

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
amzmom

U think a call to NMAC would help?

Message 5 of 6
wntrwhte2

No, it likely won't help.

Yes, the dealership but more directly, the lender, are trying to avoid straw purchases, which is where you own the loan and the payments but someone else has use of the car. It's common that they require you to apply jointly for one or both vehicles if you have more than one vehicle under your own name.

Some are more lenient than others but with an open auto reporting and recent BK I am fairly to completely certain that to get a second loan you will need to have a second party on the loan.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.