Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough credit...Need advice

tag
corysti
Valued Member

Re: Not enough credit...Need advice

Well the new car isn't new its a used car. Im buying it for 13500 OTD Every dealer is selling the same year and model for 18k and they are telling me that is a good price and I should buy it. And really im just wanting a new car and this is the oppurtunity to get one while someone wants to buy mine.

I do appreciate you talking to me explain thing and not just telling me no you have no way. I will find out tomorrow if I will get the car or not. 

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 517
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck Smiley Happy

Pay the TTL if you can.

One other FYI:  When buying the vehicle there are also 2 other values:  What you pay, what you can sell for.  If the "value" at dealer is $18k, you would not be able to trade in or sell private party for that amount.  So, only consider the value of private party sale as max value.  You can't get a dealer price.  So even on used, you will pay a dealer premium and thus suffer depreciation on that part.  If you finance TTL, you suffer that on the note also.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-12-2009 11:08 AM
Message 12 of 25
corysti
Valued Member

he well the private sale price on the car is 15500-16k  still well over the 3k. The dealer said that it's been on the lot for quite some time now and they are just trying to get rid of it. (not sure if that's true or not) I tried to talk them down some put all they would do is 300 dollars then they told me 300 for documentation fees. Any tips on how to get them lowered?

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if the car is really being sold at below private party and substantially below dealer retail AND the car is in good condition, no problems....then I don't see how you can really get more wiggle room.

I would at least pay the TTL out of pocket (don't finance taxes and blue sky unless 0% APR deal) if you can help it.

If you get qualified through a CU or outside financing, then it is same as shopping with cash as far as the dealer is concerned and you have negotiating room because you are not relying on dealer to get financing through.....but sounds like this one is as low as it goes from your description.

Message 14 of 25
corysti
Valued Member

Well, I wanted to use my bank for the fiancing but right now the car values for them are so low that you would have to come up with 3k to get the car. I would like to use a credit union but tbh I can't find one that im qualified in. Any tips or advice on that.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  Alliant Credit Union - join national pta (www.pta.org) for qualification

2.  PenFed - join NMFA for qualification

3.  Navy Federal Credit Union - qualified if active duty military or directly related to a member (grandparent, parent, spouse, sibling or child).  This is possibly the easiest credit if qualified to join.

Also, if the loan value is $3k below asking price, then you are being mislead when the dealer is telling you it is worth $18k.  I believe you said the price was $13.5k and if you can only borrow $10.5k due to value....recheck how the value at dealer is arrived at....they can "fluff" the value something fierce.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-12-2009 05:23 PM
Message 16 of 25
corysti
Valued Member

No the car is worth 18k retail and 15k private party but my banks are willing to only cover 60-75 percent of any car right now. I will sign up to that penfed when able.

Message 17 of 25
corysti
Valued Member

Well just thought I would update you. I just got a call from the dealership and they said I was approved for the loan only thing was they needed a proof of income saying I made over 1800 bucks which I don't I make roughly around 1400-1500...So that sort of sucks! Do they require a proof of income if you have a really good credit score? Because I've decided to keep my car for another year and let me get my credit score up to 750 or so then I will try again. Im pretty proud of myself because at least I know I can get a loan without a co-signer for being only 20 years old.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

cory - you just showed some true credit grit!  Rather than forcing a bad deal for "get it now" you have decided for yourself to move in a longer term positive direction and I promise you are going to really appreciate your new car, improved credit, better interest rate/terms and lower payments in a year.

Save hard, see if you can increase income, pay down debt.   A year from now you will have more money, better credit and can shop in a whole different way.

While you are at it, pick the CU of your choice and open your savings account with them now.  Put your car savings for down in there.  Build a relationship with the CU over the year leading up to your purchase.  Then the relationship will pay off and you won't be a new member asking for a loan.

Good luck and God's speed! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 25
corysti
Valued Member

Thanks Smiley Happy

Im pretty down on it but I know that once i get my goal score I can have a better ease on my mind knowing my chances are pretty good at getting a car.

Put like my question above. What type of credit score is required before they want to see a proof of income and is it true that no lender will look at you if you make less than 1800 bucks a month? 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.