cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONE car payment left - need a GW for ONE 30 day late - chances?

tag
tisch0791
New Contributor

ONE car payment left - need a GW for ONE 30 day late - chances?

I am about to make the last payment on my auto loan.  Due to a credit union switchover last month, the last payment was "lost" between the transition.  The payment was made right on the day of the switch, and it went to the original credit union.  At first, a rep told me that once they found the payment that they backdated it so it wouldn't have a 30 day late.  However, I found out from another rep that it DID report as 30 days late.  I've had this loan for 5 years and NEVER had a 30 day until now, and it's about to be paid off!  Can anyone advise what my chances are on getting that removed with a GW, and if I should use it as leverage for the final payment?  Bascially what the payoff is is one payment and some interest/fees from over the years.

Sadly we had a larger more efficient credit union at first, but this new one that has taken over is much smaller and I have to make payments manually to them instead of electronically through my bank.  Even if paying with a bank debit card they take THREE days to show they received the payment!

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any thoughts on chances with getting the 30 day removed.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: ONE car payment left - need a GW for ONE 30 day late - chances?

I wouldn't hold your last payment in lieu of them granting you GW, otherwise you may end up with another late on your reports.  

Just write them a nice letter explaining the snafu, and remind them that you've paid on time for 5 years.    I would think they would be inclined to help you out.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Original holder of the loan should be able to fix it.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
tisch0791
New Contributor

It's the new CU that reported the 30 day, even though the old CU received the money before the 30 days.  Bank of America has documentation that they delivered the funds electronically on 7/2 but the new CU didn't post it until 7/5.  The new CU took over on Sunday 7/1.  30 days was on 7/3.  Yeah, I know I was late and cut it close, but if they KNOW the old CU got the money BEFORE 7/3, I think they should do something about it.

The other thing the old CU did was if you made a payment online or by phone with a debit/credit card, they showed the payment was received on THAT day.  The new CU
 won't document the payment as received until THREE days later, even though their system will show a payment was submitted.  And they charge a 3% fee of the amount of the payment!  The old CU just charged a flat fee of $9.00.  I've never heard of any company taking that long to show a payment as received when paying with a card, or even if paying by electronic draft.  They always show the payment as received on the day you get a confirmation number that you made it.  Does that seem unusual to anyone? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.