Regular Contributor
tburns

Offered a lower rate to refinance. Not sure if I should bite.

Hello,

I have my car financed through my local CU. I've had this loan since last July starting at ~$15k @ 4.74% for 72 Months. I've since paid it down to $9887.70 (Pay off amount as of today) I normally pay more then my monthly amount to lessen the time.

Today I called Alliant CU for a CLI on my Visa with them. They granted my CLI and then said he saw I have a auto loan and if I refinance with them, they will be able to get me 1.99% @ 48 months. My Payment amount would go up $20 a month from $220 to $240 but that is still less then I normally pay a month anyways. And the auto loan would be the same credit pull I used for my CC CLI.

So I called my CU to ask for the payoff amount and was offered a rate of 2.74%. I turned it down asking for the payoff amount anyway.

I'm now wondering if I should call my local CU back tomorrow and accept the lower rate and stay.

I used an interest calculator and over 4 years it would only be just over $200 in savings. But the new loan lowering my AAoA and I just paid my payment today makes me think I might be better off just staying at a 2% lower rate.

So not sure what to do now. Just wondering if someone that has more knowledge would offer advice.

Thanks

Valued Member
blackie1

Re: Offered a lower rate to refinance. Not sure if I should bite.

Grow a pair and stay with the CU!!

2fst4u
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

In that scenario I would ask the CU to match the offer of 1.99%    Even if they can't, I'd stay with them for 2.47%

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

blackie1 wrote:

Grow a pair and stay with the CU!!

Not sure What the point of this was!?

Alliant is a Credit Union too (if im not mistaken, only hold a savings with them)

However I would call back your CU and take the 2.74% of course after trying to get them to match.

The point is make sure either current loan or new loan come down to 48 months!!!

$10k/ 48 months 1.99% = $217.00

$10k/ 48 Months 2.74% = $220.20

I rather try to keep local if possible!

Fico Scores: EQ- 653 Cap1., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
65 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Regular Contributor
tburns

[ Edited ]

webhopper wrote:

In that scenario I would ask the CU to match the offer of 1.99%    Even if they can't, I'd stay with them for 2.47%

Thanks webhopper and Creditaddict,

After thinking about it overnight I called my local CU today and accepted the 2.74%

They couldn't go lower without a credit pull. The 0.75% over 3 years if I continued to pay $300 a month would only be about 1 payment savings. I don't think it would be worth it to get a new account at this point, having to change the DMV title etc. At least with Alliant trying to get me to refi I was able to get my interest dropped by 2% without changing anything.

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

tburns wrote:

webhopper wrote:

Thanks webhopper and Creditaddict,

After thinking about it overnight I called my local CU today and accepted the 2.74%

They couldn't go lower without a credit pull. The 0.75% over 3 years if I continued to pay $300 a month would only be about 1 payment savings. I don't think it would be worth it to get a new account at this point, having to change the DMV title etc. At least with Alliant trying to get me to refi I was able to get my interest dropped by 2% without changing anything.

over 3 years? did you drop down to 36 months or 48 months?

or how mahy months are left in current loan? sounds like you got interest deduction to the 2.74% but kept everything the same as far as how long to payoff?

Fico Scores: EQ- 653 Cap1., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
65 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

That's great!  congrats on saving some moolah!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
tburns

Yes, I kept everything the same. My payments are $220.83 now and I make $300 a month payments to get it paid off sooner. So if I continue to pay $300 a month with the new interest rate I should have it paid off in about 3 years.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}