Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on refinance...

tag
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Opinion on refinance...

I recently joined USAA and they are offering me a lower rate on my auto loan. My original loan is through capital one at 15.83%. USAA is offering 11.99%. I should have waiting a few months before having them do a hard pull. I just got 2 CC with them, a Chase Freedom, and a Walmart store card. I should have allowed them to hit and show a few months payment, that may have a afforded an even lower rate. 

So, should I take the 11.99% refinance now, or should I wait a few months and try again for a lower rate?

Anyone, anyone?

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Opinion on refinance...

Your score is going to go down when those new tradelines hit, and it may take 3-6 months (or longer) to recover depending what the rest of your profile looks like.

I think personally I'd consider refinancing now, and then possibly refinance again in about a year if it made sense to do so. I think you need to do the math on the additional interest accrued over call it six months and whether it makes sense to hold on for that period for what might be a lower rate (but that's not guarunteed unfortunately).

One caveat: how long have you had the auto loan for anyway?  If you're about to tick over a 1 year or perhaps 3 year boundary within the next six months, I'd probably keep it but that's me... somewhere lost in the middle would drive up the liklihood that I'd refinance.

        
Message 2 of 8
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Revelate. I've only had the 3 months. The refinance saves me $50 per month. May not seem like much for some, but for me.... that's a tank of gas!

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 3 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

That's $600 a year. Yes, it's a lot. Smiley Happy At least I think so.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@journey258 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Revelate. I've only had the 3 months. The refinance saves me $50 per month. May not seem like much for some, but for me.... that's a tank of gas!

AFAIK, six months is the minimum you want for any tradeline if possible; however, I agree $50/mo is worth refinancing over.    Six months is another one of those mystical potential boundaries, and one I'd absolutely wait for personally but if it doesn't make financial sense for you to do so, don't wait and just refinance.  Long-term the possible difference in FICO is irrelevant, so personal finances take priority regardless.

        
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The real issue is not how much you will save monthly, unless you are having problems paying your bills.  The issue is how much interest will you save if you refinance?  If you finish out the present Cap1 loan, what is the total remaining interest you will pay?  If you refinance, what will be your total interest you will have to pay.  Then is the any potential savings worth the effort?

Message 6 of 8
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Thankfully, no problem paying my monthly bills, but with my 3rd child going off to college in the fall EVERY bit counts. The refinance is really quite effortless, handled by USAA. I guess my question is in regard to long term benefit on credit and scoring. I have only been with Cap1 3 months. Then again, I have only been with Cap1 three months. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about all of this. My new obsession with credit has me paranoid.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Run your life like a business, just look at the bottom line...  oh and stay away from credit default swaps

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.