Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POSSIBLE REPO

tag
dpage
Contributor

POSSIBLE REPO

Hello all, sorry if this seems like a repost. I don't think my first post went through. Long story short, I have an auto loan that is just rediculous through Capital One. I still owe 19K on the loan, the car is only worth around 9K (2012 nissan altima) I'm considering turning the keys in.. A little history, the car was origianlly leased but during the lease period had some hiccups with my finances so when it came time to buy the vehicle my credit was prety much shot and ended up getting a "jacked up" loan to say the least.. having a hard time keeping up with these payments and ALL of the payments are going to interest.. my question is, how long would it take for them to come after me for the balance of the loan after they sell the car. has anyone else done a voluntary repo and what was your experience? Thanks, dpage

Proud home owner
Lender Pull 03/28/2011 EQ:708 TU:698 EXP:709

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: POSSIBLE REPO

A voluntary reposession is no different than a non voluntary one, it will destroy your credit and will make it very difficult for you to obtain a car loan in the near future, and if you do it will be on even worse terms than you have now.

As far as a lender coming after the deficient balance, it will more than likely take a few months or longer because they have to go through the proper legal procedures to reposess the vehicle, then sell the vehicle at auction, and calculate the remaining balance, plus fees.

They can garnish your wages for the remaining balance as well.

I would personally suggest doing whatever it takes to keep the vehicle and keep paying the payments on time. Try cutting needless things out of your budget that aren't necessary such as Cable, internet, going out to eat, etc...possibly pick up a second job that helps make the end's meet. A reposession may take the burden of the payment away, but it will have worst reprocussions in the future, higher interest rates on future loans, higher insurance premiums, just to name a few. What may seem like a short term solution will only turn into a long term headache and cost you more.

Message 2 of 4
dpage
Contributor

Thank you!!!  I really appreciate your response..

Proud home owner
Lender Pull 03/28/2011 EQ:708 TU:698 EXP:709

Message 3 of 4
916networktech
Contributor

A friend I know had something similar, except he lost his job couldn't pay the $550 monthly fee for the auto loan, had an order of repossessions, he moved left no forwarding address, he was still able to renew the tags, drive, and insure the car, after 4 years he said heck with this got tired of looking over his schoulder, he Called the bank , they had charged off the car by that time, he told them that the car was parked in a church, a week later they picked it up, sold it at auction sent him a remaining bill, look up your states statue of limitations, he didn't get sued, and the repo it's off his credit report after 7 years from the date of last payment.  

| January 2017 American Express Blue $3000 | October 2017 American Express Everyday $2800 | October 2017 American Express Schwab Investor Card $6000 | September 2017 Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa $500 | December 2016 Discover it | $3,000 | September 2017 Paypal MC $700 | September 2017 Nordstrom Store CC $3000 | CreditCare $12000 | December 2017 BBVA Visa $12500 |

EX 688 December 2018
TU 680 December 2018
INQs: 5
Credit Started January 2017

cc
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.