Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off loan-score dropped

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Paid off loan-score dropped

I paid off my auto loan 4 or 5 months early and my credit scores dropped-EQ 23 points and EX 15 points.  I haven't heard from TU yet.  My scores had just started moving above 675 and more as I was paying down cards.  I had been having trouble with my high car payment and the company, who I had a long, strong relationship with, refused to refinace to a lower payment a few months ago.  I didn't know paying off a loan with good payment would drop a credit scrore. The CRAs keep complaining about the loan balance being too high.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off loan-score dropped

@Reighn9 wrote:

I paid off my auto loan 4 or 5 months early and my credit scores dropped-EQ 23 points and EX 15 points.  I haven't heard from TU yet.  My scores had just started moving above 675 and more as I was paying down cards.  I had been having trouble with my high car payment and the company, who I had a long, strong relationship with, refused to refinace to a lower payment a few months ago.  I didn't know paying off a loan with good payment would drop a credit scrore. The CRAs keep complaining about the loan balance being too high.

This is common,  FICO scoring is interesting stuff.  I think you will find over the next few months you will get some of those points back.  If you go to the fico score forum they suggest doing a installment loan to increase scores so if you want all of those point back you might want to look at that post.  Many do a secured loan through a credit union, pay all but 5% or so off right away and let the loan report for months or years to bump up their scores.  

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.