Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past repo's effecting future loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Past repo's effecting future loans

I  made some bad decision with money when I was younger an other life events resulted in a few repos in my past. I will be filing BK, Just paid the lawyer today. 

Will the repos from 5 to 8 years go effect my ablitiy to get a auto loan after BK?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Past repo's effecting future loans

@Anonymous wrote:

I  made some bad decision with money when I was younger an other life events resulted in a few repos in my past. I will be filing BK, Just paid the lawyer today. 

Will the repos from 5 to 8 years go effect my ablitiy to get a auto loan after BK?

Thanks

You'll be able to get a loan after BK but I HIGHLY recommend buying a car for a couple of grand cash and rebuilding your credit for at least 6 months and you will get a FAR better rate.

I see people all of the time jumping back into lousy high rate auto loans right after BK and it kind of breaks my heart. Many say "oh, I'll refinance in X months" but the problem is how easy it is to be underwater on a 20% interest rate loan and then you can't refinance a car that is too underwater. Then they're stuck.

You're about to be free of the debt trap . . don't run right back in!

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Past repo's effecting future loans

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

You'll be able to get a loan after BK but I HIGHLY recommend buying a car for a couple of grand cash and rebuilding your credit for at least 6 months and you will get a FAR better rate.

I see people all of the time jumping back into lousy high rate auto loans right after BK and it kind of breaks my heart. Many say "oh, I'll refinance in X months" but the problem is how easy it is to be underwater on a 20% interest rate loan and then you can't refinance a car that is too underwater. Then they're stuck.

You're about to be free of the debt trap . . don't run right back in!

^^^Listen to Steeler's sage advice....get that cash car for at least 6 months.  You will be in a much better position to purchase a vehicle with payments  after you have been discharged from your Bk.  I waited two years to buy a vehicle with payments - had the cash car from the day of discharge tor exactly two years (well, really two years and one week).  Give yourself time after the Bk to set up a budget and live with it for a while. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.