Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Pay off in FEB, what is going to happen to score?

I have worked my tail off, literally day and night, to go from 554 in DEC of 2011 to 728 this month (01/13)  How I did this is because of all you good people here, Thank you. 

My question is this, I paid off $4500 towards my car not thinking what will happen when the car is paid off to my credit score.  Next month I pay (1) payment of $148 and then the car will be paid off.  

This is my oldest account and I am afraid with the account paid off or closed (?) it will retract all that I have worked so hard for.  I plan to buy a house in exactly two months (seasoned money)  so I truly can not afford for this account to close out. 

What is going to happen to my credit score? 

CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Established Contributor

Re: Pay off in FEB, what is going to happen to score?

The positive account will remain on your reports for many years to come. If you are closing on your house it will only look good that you have met your obligations to your auto loan. You could have kept paying monthly normal amounts. You may or may not see a slight score boost when the account reports closed/paid in full. The positives from the tradeline are already there and will stick around.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.