cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying car loan payments in advance?

tag
varhalla

Paying car loan payments in advance?

I'm in a situation where I'm trying to increase my credit score relatively quickly, and was told I might be able to pay my bank my truck note for August, September, October, and November and it will report to credit companies that those months have been paid, making it look like I've paid on the truck longer and boosting my score, even if it's just a little. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Paying car loan payments in advance?

You won't receive a score boost much at all, if any, for paying your car loan in advance.

Where you get the largest score boost is paying down your revolving balances on each credit card to zero except for one card and make sure the balance reports less than 10% of the credit limit.

Prepaying your car payment won't help at all.

Message 2 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

And in actuality they will not report for the months ahead anyway. What they will do is decrease the balance owed on your next reporting period. Until those months come across you will not see the green OK on your credit reports. I know with Capital One by making payments ahead of schedule when I got my monthly billing statement it would say you owe 0.00 for this month and next payment is due xx/xx 20xx with the date reflecting how far in advance I was paid up.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

i paid my lease until the end of the year. now my next payment is 1/25/14 but idk if it has an impact on my score yet
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

You won't receive a score boost much at all, if any, for paying your car loan in advance.

Where you get the largest score boost is paying down your revolving balances on each credit card to zero except for one card and make sure the balance reports less than 10% of the credit limit.

Prepaying your car payment won't help at all.

+1

UTL plays a big factor in your credit report.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.