Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Application

How old are you 4 credit card? two are open since 2014 and two are open since 2015.

What is going on with the 2014 auto loan? It is open and current.

Are you still driving that car and just want another/different car? Yes. I want to trade it in.

How much do you still owe?  8000

Are those collections paid? No

Have you been challenging them? Most have been removed from my TU and EX but not EQ just from my online disputes. EQ wont budge.

What's the end game for you in dealing with them?  I am now going to try and work with them for PFD. I guess.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They sent me the denial letter and it said my credit score is 598  Smiley Surprised

My Fico says 657.  Weird.

Message 12 of 17
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

PenFed has their own internal scoring model, I'd imagine you AAOA being low and the fact you have unpaid collections is definitely keeping your score with them down.

My NexGen (PenFed's internal score) is actually 10-15 points higher than my Fico score.

If your TU and EX are clear, what are those scores like? You might be able to go with a lender that pulls from one of them. NFCU pulled TU for my CC and EQ for my CLOC with them, someone might be able to chime in and say what they pull for auto loans, I'd wager its EQ.

Have you tried looking at Capital One for another auto loan?

With your income, what's your DTI like? I'd get very aggressive about PFD with the collections and go from there.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OP... medical collections are the easiest to dispute/verify. Have you looked into "how to Dispute medical collections" on here? A lot of it has to do with HIPPAA. I would start by disputing those first. My medical collections were removed instantly since they were unable to verify those within 30days. Once removed, you can try to apply again.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed my medical collections because they were sold to other debt collection agencies that I have never authorized nor do I have a contract with them. Never pay debt with collection agencies, only with your original lender.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I had no trouble getting a used-car loan from PenFed weekend before last. I think it helped that I'd been working hard on rebuilding my credit for the past year and a half or so since getting employed full-time again (I had to go through chapter 7 BK in the fall of 2014). I actually started the application online through their car-buying service but thought I might have a better chance if I applied in person, so I went to the branch closest to my work on the 24th. Got approved right away, and my Equifax was 690 - which astounded me, I'd thought it was 20 or so points lower!

Now, I originally got approved for the TrueCar price at 3.21% on a 48-month loan for the car I was originally looking at, but I found out that that vehicle had already been sold - very fortunately, they had another car that'd just come in (a 2016 Hyundai Accent sedan) that was just about as good. I had to call PenFed to rework the loan because the paperwork had the no-longer-valid VIN for the original vehicle, and they not only did it over with no hassle at all but boosted the loan amount by $520 or so to cover all taxes and title/tag fees (which weren't included for some reason in the TrueCar price), which put me in the $10,000-plus range for which I could request a 60-month term. PFCU approved me for that at 3.99%, and my monthly payment is actually about $25 lower (though, to be sure, the overall cost will be more over 60 months) than the 48-month term would have been.

I've been a PenFed member for close to 40 years since my parents set up an account for me while I was a high school student, and I made a sizeable deposit into my shares account at the same time I applied for the loan, so that may have helped too.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty sure Penfed is sensative to collcetions and public records, perhaps more so than many lenders.  My personal experience with collections is it is better to pay them and be able to have that recorded than to not.  Especially when they are not for a ton of money.  Many say paying the collections doesnt help your scores, that may be the case but of course for recons being able to say that they have been paid may make them reconsider.  Of course there are plenty of good credit unions you can work with so don't get too worried.  

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.