cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Refinance?

tag
Nahgee

Re: PenFed Refinance?

No worries on the questions. I got my score through Cap1 360. I had a BK discharged in Sep 2013, but I have student loans from 2005, everything else from the bk going forward has been all on time payments, and typically low utilization.

DCU denied me twice as well bc of my BK (they pulled eq and ex) the credit union I just left was okay but the interest rate was horrible.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nahgee wrote:
No worries on the questions. I got my score through Cap1 360. I had a BK discharged in Sep 2013, but I have student loans from 2005, everything else from the bk going forward has been all on time payments, and typically low utilization.

DCU denied me twice as well bc of my BK (they pulled eq and ex) the credit union I just left was okay but the interest rate was horrible.

How did you get the PenFed Membership? 

sounds like you have a long credit history but mine only about 1 year 3 months.

Message 12 of 19
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

How did you get the PenFed Membership?

Join 1 of 2 associations affiliated with PenFed.  It's a cheap 1-time due, $14 or $15.

Message 13 of 19
Nahgee

I joined one of the associations as stated above.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot for the information guys. will try to join with PenFed soon. about 3 months ago I tried to refinance my auto loan with DCU with FICO score of 674 and I got approved rate of 3.99% but unfortunatly it was declined after the sending the paystubs etc. they said insufficent income for the required amount of auto loan. 

I make only 1.2K per month and then after, my credit limit increase by $6000. $1000 each for 4 credit cards and $2000 new credit card.

since that time credit score dropped to 645 and still remianing the same. and I do have 18 credit inquiries on my credit report.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon after buying a car can you refi with Penfed and what are the requirements and how high do scores need to be? Thanks

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How soon after buying a car can you refi with Penfed and what are the requirements and how high do scores need to be? Thanks

You can re-finance immediately, but your scores generally must be in the Good to Excellent range. Once your established with PenFed, they are more concerned that your income can meet your debt.

PenFed is considered a conservative lender, but they don’t play games and their rates are fixed based upon what kind of loan your asking. You either qualify or don’t, they don’t adjust the terms to your qualification level like many banks do.

Message 17 of 19
trant3
Established Contributor

As mentioned prior, PenFed is very conservative. Scores must be in the "good" range, I would say at least an EQ of 650 or above. They pull exclusively EQ and do not use the FICO 8 model. I recently refi with them, got 4.5% not what I wanted buy grateful to lower the APR. However, they did double pull by EQ for some reason, the CSR said it was due to risk based pricing since I didnt get the lowest terms Smiley Wink. Overall, they're awesome, check was overnighted to me, loan was transfered over in no time. 

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I googled credit unions in my area and called several today, spoke to one that said once we have our discharge papers we can probably refi with them, didn't matter how long we had the vehicle. Im going to wait until sept when we have the papers and then try to refi.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.