Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed auto loan

Alright so I'm purchasing a new car next month as I was T-boned a few months ago at a total loss. I had my loan through my own credit union at 4% but wanted to take advantage of PenFeds payment saver product. My fico scores are currently 660-680 with 100% on time payments, no baddies and a derog (pif collection) that finally falls off this winter. I just paid off all my credit card debt except for one cc which will take the year to pay off. Not sure how high my scores will be once MyFico finally decides to change the paid amount.
My income is $108k and asking for $55k in an auto loan. What do you guys think my chance of scoring the loan and at a decent rate is? Feel free to ask a y questions. Thanks guys
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed auto loan

I got approved for penfeds best rate on an auto saver with FICO around 680 (however their NG score for me was a 720). I didn't end up taking though as my CU does the same type of loan and on trucks(where penfed didn't). Rate was 2.2%

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice good to know.
Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think your income will help your chances, combined with the score jump. That jump will depend on how much your utilization dropped. If your talking like 30-40% drop or more, it can be pretty decent.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So here's where I'm at. I have 4 credit cards witch only my venture card has a balance. ($13k of $15k limit) and a private loan I owe only $4k. Initially I was going to pay off my private loan but was worried my score would take a hit which obviously I don't want right now.
How should I approach this to gain the most points towards my fico or the NG2 score system they use??
Message 5 of 10
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

Can't speak for the NG2 system but you'll probably gain a higher amount of points paying down the venture based on what you said.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards as I took a big hit when I paid off my car loan. I'm hoping for a nice 20+ point bump
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So plan of action? Should I pay as much of my venture card off or pay some of my private loan and some of my CC? The first chunk I can pay is $4k and maybe another $2k in Sept. What do you guys think

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in looking for ways to improve my fico score and gain the most points as quickly as possible I thought about paying off my venture card ($13k balance) with a private loan before I applied for my car loan in mid Sept. Is this a wise idea? From my understanding your better off paying CC debt completely than having a instalment loan on file. Is this correct? This obviously benefit me as it would cut down my interest rate by 13%
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.