Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed experience

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

PenFed experience

I have been with PenFed coming up on a year. I have many of their products, checking, savings, credit card and a few cars financed.

I recently purchased a new truck from a local dealer. I knew I was taking the huge cash back rebate so applied for PenFed financing and received an instant approval for the amount requested at their lowest interest rate. Of interest I was trading in a vehicle that I currently have financed with PenFed.

When PenFed sent out my check it was good for up to a certain amount and made out to me. I had to use the check at a dealer which was the plan from the beginning. As it turns out, I went to a different dealer to shop the current offer I had from dealer A. Good thing for me was that I was able to write the check for $2,500 less than the deal I was going to get at dealer A.

After filling out the check at the dealer, it took 5 days for the account to show up online. It took another 7-8 days for the previous auto loan to get paid off and drop off my PenFed home page.

An easy experience and the dealer only asked once to run my credit.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed experience

The kind of ease and convienience I live for. Congrats!!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why PenFed is such an awesome CU, congratulations Appleman on such a smooth & seamless PenFed auto loan transaction!!!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed is tough to beat.  Its a totally different buying experience when you can bring your own financing to the table and just talk price.  

Message 4 of 6
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Congrats on your purchase i would have told that dealer to get lost when they said they need to run your credit. U are coming in as a cash buyer dealers don't need to run your credit they wan't to get a glimpse of your credit so they can see if they can get u financed with there preferred lender aka bigger kick back.

Message 5 of 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

They were cool about it and tried to slide it in. 'I believe we need to run the credit for the rebate', I asked them to check again and would be happy to run it by another dealer.

They came back, you were right, no need for a credit pull. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.