cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed's opinion on HQ's and what they look for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed's opinion on HQ's and what they look for?

I'm planning on trying to get an auto loan through PenFed in January, I'm thinking it will be around $30-35k if I can get approved for that. My income is $60,000 + I can have my fiance cosign if need be and her income is currently $40k, however by January we are thinking she should have a raise to $45-50k. I'm a renter and my rent is $607/mo

My Equifax score, at my current rate of building, should be between 725-735 by January and I've *heard* that PenFed only pulls Equifax. Can anyone vouch for this?

In January I will have 6 HQ's on my Equifax report (I have one dropping off in a month and not planning to have anymore in the meantime). I have 4 credit cards with a total limit around $38k and I'm 26 years old. By January I will have had my current job for 6 months (I'm a software developer).

What does PenFed look for when giving Auto Loans? Do they also take into consideration the type of vehicle being purchased at all? What things can I do to help make sure I get approved for an auto loan for the amounts that I'm wanting?

I'm trying to make sure that when I apply I have the best chances of getting approved that I can get. Any advice is appreciated.

Also does anyone know of any other places besides PenFed who approve auto loans for vehicles > 7 years old? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed's opinion on HQ's and what they look for?

I had a similar score and many more inquiries when I applied and obtained an auto loan from them

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And just to clarify -

Are you saying HQ as in a 'Hard Query' meaning a Hard Credit Inquiry?

We usually refer to them as HP for Hard Pull and SP for soft pull.

I'm thinking different terminology for the same thing.

I would think your income and scores are strong enough for you to qualify on your own.  Generally, scores 660 and above are good enough for ok financing at a car dealer. 

I also think Penfed pulls EQ but dont know the scores they look for.  You could call them and ask, and they probably wont remember you by January, Smiley Happy

hth

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn - yes I did mean HP not HQ... It's been a long day

Message 4 of 5
notpaul
Regular Contributor

The car is collateral. The less risky the deal is for them the better they will like it. I applied and they seemed interested at over 700, but they don't like a lot of new accounts opened. They cited that as the reason for denying me even before my BK7 history. Had I opened a car loan with them first, and then applied for a credit card, it may have gone the opposite way.... Who knows.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.