cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed - New auto loans up to 84 months now.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed - New auto loans up to 84 months now.

Check it out.  They were locked to 72 months up until just a few days ago.  Now their loans show up to 84 months and rates at 2.99%

https://www.penfed.org/New-Auto-Loan/

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed - New auto loans up to 84 months now.

@Anonymous wrote:

Check it out.  They were locked to 72 months up until just a few days ago.  Now their loans show up to 84 months and rates at 2.99%

Thanks for sharing.  I hope anyone considering 84 or even 72 month financing seriously think about it first.  A large number of people bury themselves in a car because they want lower payments and then finance for 6 or 7 years.  Very few people end up wanting to keep their cars for that long and when they go to trade it in they find that they owe a lot more on it than what it's worth. Extended financing makes this problem even worse.  Just s friendly word of caution.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wow.  Feels like just a matter of time before we see 10 year note offerings.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for sharing.  I hope anyone considering 84 or even 72 month financing seriously think about it first.  A large number of people bury themselves in a car because they want lower payments and then finance for 6 or 7 years.  Very few people end up wanting to keep their cars for that long and when they go to trade it in they find that they owe a lot more on it than what it's worth. Extended financing makes this problem even worse.  Just s friendly word of caution.

I agree, but I don't see the problem if the buyer is responsible with money.  They may end up owing $2000 when they go to trade-in or they did a shorter loan term and owe $0 but they paid an extra $2000 in higher payments.  So it's $2000 now or $2000 later, but it's roughly the same $2000.  Why not keep your money longer if you are getting a similar or better interest rate either way?

(not arguing, just genuinely trying to understand)

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, but I don't see the problem if the buyer is responsible with money.  They may end up owing $2000 when they go to trade-in or they did a shorter loan term and owe $0 but they paid an extra $2000 in higher payments.  So it's $2000 now or $2000 later, but it's roughly the same $2000.  Why not keep your money longer if you are getting a similar or better interest rate either way?

Just my opinion but those that are responsible with money (using your term) do not put themselves in 7-year auto loans.  You are ripe for a situation of getting upside down in short order.  Just because a buyer can offord the $2,000 does not equal responsbile, just means they can afford the loss.  If you need a 7-year loan due to a payment ceiling then you are buying too much car for what a person can responsibly afford.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just my opinion but those that are responsible with money (using your term) do not put themselves in 7-year auto loans.  You are ripe for a situation of getting upside down in short order.  Just because a buyer can offord the $2,000 does not equal responsbile, just means they can afford the loss.  If you need a 7-year loan due to a payment ceiling then you are buying too much car for what a person can responsibly afford.

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't answer my question.  I'm not asking about needing a lower payment on a car a person can't afford.  

Message 6 of 13
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

I really hope not. No one should be applying for 72 month loan either, max should be 48 months any more than that is just a bad decision IMHO
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, there are a lot of opinions.  I make my financial decisions based on math, not the approval of others.  What makes it a bad decision mathematically?  

For example, when I got my recent auto loan, I got a really good interest rate.  The interest rate was actually lower on the 72 month loan.  Why should I pay a higher interest rate for a 48 month loan?  There's no question of me not affording the payment either way.  Why pay more when I can pay less?  I'm genuinely wondering if I'm missing something here (in the math, not in the disapproval of strangers).

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, there are a lot of opinions.  I make my financial decisions based on math, not the approval of others.  What makes it a bad decision mathematically?  

For example, when I got my recent auto loan, I got a really good interest rate.  The interest rate was actually lower on the 72 month loan.  Why should I pay a higher interest rate for a 48 month loan?  There's no question of me not affording the payment either way.  Why pay more when I can pay less?  I'm genuinely wondering if I'm missing something here (in the math, not in the disapproval of strangers).

Ok, no more opinion.  What is the rate for 72 months versus the rate for 48 months?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

72 - 2.74%

84 - 2.99%

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.