Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Member

Penfed questions

Sorry if these have been asked a million times.  I just joined to apply for an auto loan.  Will they definitely not pull credit twice since I just joined or is there a chance for two hard pulls?  Also, If I do get approved, how long will I have to use the funds? 

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Penfed questions

BrokePT wrote:

Sorry if these have been asked a million times.  I just joined to apply for an auto loan.  Will they definitely not pull credit twice since I just joined or is there a chance for two hard pulls?  Also, If I do get approved, how long will I have to use the funds? 

Thanks!

^^^^^^

They hard pull. I just apped for one.

Should be one hard pull

You have 90 days since draft issue date to use funds, or it expires.

Credit Cards: AmEx Platinum (NPSL), Citi Prestige ($25.5K), Simmons ($5.5K), IberiaBank ($14K)
Personal Lines of Credit: U.S. Bank ($5K), Wells Fargo ($11.2K), Citibank ($11.8K), PenFed CU ($25K), LA Financial CU ($20K)
myFICO 3B Report (as of 4/30/16): Experian: Score 8: 786; Mortgage Score 2: 809 Equifax: Score 8: 801; Mortgage Score 5: 809 Transunion: Score 8: 796; Mortgage Score 4: 796
Jumbo Mortgage: 3.75%
Established Member

So one hard pull total ?

Valued Contributor

They use the one hard pull for anything you apply for during the 90 day period after that pull.  One pull for your membership and autoloan in your case.  In fact this was a challange for us because our credit improved drastically between our membership in January and auto loan application in early March and we were denied a loan, I had to call and ask them to do a new HP so we could get approved which they did.  The member service agent I spoke with told me that they will always use any HP for 90 days so when we had the new one done March 14th for our auto loan we each applied for credt cards and they used that same HP as promised.

NFCU Go Rewards 18k, NFCU Go Rewards AU 22k, NFCU CLOC 15k, NFCU N Rewards 14k, Amex ED preferred 12k, Amex BC 1k, USAA CL 2k, Hawaiian Air Barclay 1.2k, Venture One 10.1k, Target 3.5k, Citi Costco 2k, Citi AAdvantage 7k, NFCU Platinum AR $2.4K, Penfed Platinum Rewards $5.5k. PayPal 2.2K

Gardening till 2018, Goal of 700's by the end of 2017
MyFico Scores May 2017: EQ 692 TU 700 EXP 698
Community Leader
Super Contributor

HP's aren't always good for 90 days FYI... Usually they are, but not guranteed by any means.. I personally have been hit with a two HP's within two days of each other.  Granted as a goodwill they removed the other HP, but from conversation with a senior UW they try to use the same HP within 90 day period, but not guranteed by any means.  More so than not it is good, but sometimes they want another one for whatever reason.  So a HP for 90 is not a set in stone rule as is being said.  With that said you should be good with your membership.  I just try to avoid mis-information when I see it and know the lender and have experience with them and have other cases as well.

Chase | Citibank | Amex | BofA | PenFed | NFCU | Discover | US Bank | Blispay
Valued Contributor

CreditCuriousity wrote:

HP's aren't always good for 90 days FYI... Usually they are, but not guranteed by any means.. I personally have been hit with a two HP's within two days of each other.  Granted as a goodwill they removed the other HP, but from conversation with a senior UW they try to use the same HP within 90 day period, but not guranteed by any means.  More so than not it is good, but sometimes they want another one for whatever reason.  So a HP for 90 is not a set in stone rule as is being said.  With that said you should be good with your membership.  I just try to avoid mis-information when I see it and know the lender and have experience with them and have other cases as well.

Just repeating what the customer service rep told me in March but its not the first time what a customer service rep says doesn't match the practice exactly.  She even told me that unless you expressly request it they will use the same HP for that 90 day period which I had to do in my case.  Guess your experience shows that there is an exception to every rule.

NFCU Go Rewards 18k, NFCU Go Rewards AU 22k, NFCU CLOC 15k, NFCU N Rewards 14k, Amex ED preferred 12k, Amex BC 1k, USAA CL 2k, Hawaiian Air Barclay 1.2k, Venture One 10.1k, Target 3.5k, Citi Costco 2k, Citi AAdvantage 7k, NFCU Platinum AR $2.4K, Penfed Platinum Rewards $5.5k. PayPal 2.2K

Gardening till 2018, Goal of 700's by the end of 2017
MyFico Scores May 2017: EQ 692 TU 700 EXP 698

Definitely not always true because we got a new auto loan from Penfed last month. I applied for their cash rewards card about 2 weeks later and it was a 2nd hard pull. 

Valued Contributor

Add me to the list.  I was pulled twice in the same week.  When I asked about it I was told that if for whatever reason the LO wants a more updated view of your credit, he or she will pull a new report...even if it's only days apart.  

Valued Contributor

BrokePT wrote:

So one hard pull total ?

^^^

In my case one hard pull only for auto loan since I've had no recent credit activity with penfed.

As for if a few days or weeks later you app for something else whether they will pull again, as you've read here,, they can; if you ask the rep since there was a pull within th epast 90 days ask them if they can not pull again if possible, doesn't hurt to ask.

Credit Cards: AmEx Platinum (NPSL), Citi Prestige ($25.5K), Simmons ($5.5K), IberiaBank ($14K)
Personal Lines of Credit: U.S. Bank ($5K), Wells Fargo ($11.2K), Citibank ($11.8K), PenFed CU ($25K), LA Financial CU ($20K)
myFICO 3B Report (as of 4/30/16): Experian: Score 8: 786; Mortgage Score 2: 809 Equifax: Score 8: 801; Mortgage Score 5: 809 Transunion: Score 8: 796; Mortgage Score 4: 796
Jumbo Mortgage: 3.75%
Established Member

I went ahead and applied for the auto loan to see what kind of interest they can offer me. Got a pretty quick approval. Just need to send in my income verification.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.