Established Member
MMTT31

Penfed

When I start applying for car loans I would like to apply to Penfed. My question is, if I do get approved for membership would I have to open a checkings account with them just to get the auto loan?

Established Contributor
Exonumist

Re: Penfed

Membership requires having $5 in a savings account. I think they call it a regular share account. You do not need a checking account. Keep in mind they will use the hard pull from joining for ANY credit applications within 60 days. If your also looking for a credit card or anything I'd make sure they are the first that you apply with as they can be sensitive to inquiries. 

Current Scores: TU 773 (5/30/14), EX 755 (4/20/13), EQ 732 (3/25/14)
Goal Scores: 780+
Last App: March 21, 2014
Established Member
MMTT31

Default4 wrote:

Membership requires having $5 in a savings account. I think they call it a regular share account. You do not need a checking account. Keep in mind they will use the hard pull from joining for ANY credit applications within 60 days. If your also looking for a credit card or anything I'd make sure they are the first that you apply with as they can be sensitive to inquiries. 

Thank you for reply and advise. I am going to apply to them first when the time comes.

Regular Contributor
Omnipotent

What paperwork does Pended ask for?
Contributor
Hoya08

Omnipotent wrote:
What paperwork does Pended ask for?

To join?  Nothing, just a donation to one of two non-profit organizations to open a savings account, $5 minimum balance.

To purchase a car?  Apply on-line for approval.  When purchasing 1) a new car, PenFed requires the VIN #; 2) a used car, a copy (front & back) of the vehicle title.

Regular Contributor
Omnipotent

What about personal paperwork to either start or wrap up the paperwork?
Contributor
Hoya08

Paperwork to qualify for the loan varies from applicant to applicant.  They may or may not require your last 2 paystubs.

Established Member
MMTT31

I personally don't know what they require so I can't help with that and I also want to thank Hoya08 for that extra info. But when I finanlly apply and if I get accepted and go with them I can come back and post here what they required if you're still looking at penfed.

Contributor
Hoya08

I have a used-car loan through PenFED and they never asked for my paystubs.  I applied online and received a pending-approval notification for about 3-days.  I called them and was told me I was approved.  

I received a copy of the car title, emailed it to my LO, and a check was printed on the spot (I'm about 2.5 miles from a PenFED branch).  The only documents I signed was a PenFED repayment agreement (terms & interest rates).

For a new vehicle purchase, PenFED will require the VIN # to assess the vehicle's value (they use NADA) and cut you a check.  PenFED is strict with the loan amount they'll extend based upon NADA's valuation.  Whereas USAA will extend a loan up to 120% of their vechicle valuation (they use Black Book).

Established Member
MMTT31

Thank you for the extra info.

Hoya08 wrote:

I have a used-car loan through PenFED and they never asked for my paystubs.  I applied online and received a pending-approval notification for about 3-days.  I called them and was told me I was approved.  

I received a copy of the car title, emailed it to my LO, and a check was printed on the spot (I'm about 2.5 miles from a PenFED branch).  The only documents I signed was a PenFED repayment agreement (terms & interest rates).

For a new vehicle purchase, PenFED will require the VIN # to assess the vehicle's value (they use NADA) and cut you a check.  PenFED is strict with the loan amount they'll extend based upon NADA's valuation.  Whereas USAA will extend a loan up to 120% of their vechicle valuation (they use Black Book).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+