Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to finance new car, good rate?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Planning to finance new car, good rate?

My GTI is old and breaks all the time. VW parts are expensive. Although I have been driving used cars for about 17 years now, I have decided to finance my first new car.

Specifically, I want another hot-hatch.  It needs to be small, easy to park in the city, and really fun to drive.  So I have nearly settled on a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST.  I belong to about 6 credit unions and so it is possible that I could get a better rate, but the dealer (AAFES) pulled a 707 TU score (this is lower than the last update I received from Barclays) and told me that I qualified for 2.99%.  I could have got 1.99% if my score was 13 points higher.  Nevertheless, this seems like a good rate to me.  I am thinking about just taking the offered rate and not even bother having 6 credit unions HP my reports for other offers.  But I did notice a 0% offer on Ford's website for financing.  I assume that this only applies to the best possible credit scores?  So, I guess I am asking if the car buyers here think it would be worth it for me to continue rate shopping or should I save the inqs and take the pretty decent rate that I was offered the first time?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Planning to finance new car, good rate?

Are you dead set on the fiesta? I know some other makers offer better terms. Ive seen people below 700 but still in tier 1 for toyota get 0% interest rates
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 11
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

If your score(s) are at or above 700, you could give Ford Credit a try. I'd say you could qualify for the 0%.

Don't be too concerned about HPs. As you know, all inquiries within a certain time-frame for an auto-loan count as a single inquiry.

Message 3 of 11
Luscher
Valued Contributor

+1 and they want you to finance with them so they will try there best. Ive seen many people around 680 get 0% so you should be golden
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Ford should have NO issue giving you 0% and if that dealer says no, go to another I don't believe that ford won't give you 0!!

Message 5 of 11
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

I would just check with the Credit Unions also, I got a great deal at NFCU and it was as easy as could be.

Message 6 of 11
sccredit
Valued Contributor

A Ford dealer with a good finance department can get 0% on 650+.  If they can't get it with 707 they're trying to make too much money on you.  

Message 7 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I don't really have access to a US Ford dealer. I am buying a US-spec car in England. The original offer was from Keesler Credit Union and it now has 3.74% on it, higher than the 2.99 that I should have qualified for. I am going to try to get this lowered. I might call some other credit unions too.
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I don't really have access to a US Ford dealer. I am buying a US-spec car in England. The original offer was from Keesler Credit Union and it now has 3.74% on it, higher than the 2.99 that I should have qualified for. I am going to try to get this lowered. I might call some other credit unions too.

The train just fell off the tracks... What? Where are you that you have access to a car in England but not a car in the states?

Ford is offering 1.9% for 72 Months + $500 Cash on a Ford Fiesta ST with every option possible it is about $25k by the looks of the one I found here in CA and with just under $3k down it estimates about a $350/month payment.

Message 9 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

AAFES (army and air force exchange service) is getting the custom ordered US-spec car for me and delivering it to me in England. $350 is about what my monthly payment is with 60 month financing. I did just call NFCU though, and they have offered me 2.09%. They are mailing me a check tomorrow.... only issue is that it will probably take a couple weeks to get here. I think this is a good rate, though. I am going back to the AAFES dealer and if he can beat 2.09%, I will finance with him. Otherwise, it looks like I am waiting for the NFCU check to arrive.

This Fiesta ST is gonna be sweet! It is just under $25k with the Recaro seats and painted wheels, but I want that stuff! Since I plan on around 5k downpayment, I got the loan for $20k. I told them I would think about the GAP insurance that they tried to sell me. Should I add that on?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.