cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please share your negotiation techniques.

tag
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Re: Please share your negotiation techniques.

vesper wrote:
When dealing with the internet sales manager, is it best to negotiate through email?

Yes. I used email to get my first bmw 3 series. I never saw the person I was emailing until the day she delivered my car. Such a smooth process. With email the good thing is that you can have everything documented. If you are going to trade in your car I recommend first going to CARMAX if you have one, and hear what they would offer you for your vehicle. They do free quotes, so charges there. Good Luck.

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I dealt with the Internet manager it was all by email. When I showed up to test drive the car he found for me he pawned me off on a floor guy. But I had the Documentation where the IM said he could get me a certain price. As soon as I showed the email I got what I wanted (the new guy tried to get me to pay more)
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Takunda1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
When dealing with the internet sales manager, is it best to negotiate through email?

Yes. I used email to get my first bmw 3 series. I never saw the person I was emailing until the day she delivered my car. Such a smooth process. With email the good thing is that you can have everything documented. If you are going to trade in your car I recommend first going to CARMAX if you have one, and hear what they would offer you for your vehicle. They do free quotes, so charges there. Good Luck.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to carmax this week to see what they can give me. If it is way below KBB than I will probably try and sell it myself and get a car in July. My friend used to work at carmax and said they don't go too below KBB, so hopefully i will get lucky!
Message 13 of 29
wmarat
Valued Contributor

What carmax is?
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can deal by e-mail then definitely do that. I was the internet sales person for a while at my dealership and with most quote requests on new cars I'd walk up to the new car manager and he'd give me his lowest possible price immediately. They know you're emailing a half dozen other dealerships and they're not gonna screw around like they will if you're in the show room.
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

good to know Rev...thanks!
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm thinking.....should I email all 3 dealers (cc'ing) that have contacted me and say this is what want and this is the price I want to pay...and see which one wants my business that way?
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't thow out a price.  What if they were willing to go lower?  You'd never know.

Instead, I'd ask them for their best price.  JMHO.
Message 19 of 29
FICOfit
Contributor

Never throw a price out that you are willing to pay.  They may be willing to go lower.  It may take longer, but worth it in the end.  Also, if you are financing through the dealer, never tell them what you want your monthly payments to be.  Again, they may go lower than you wanted and if you tell them what you want to pay, it may be harder to get them to budge once they get there.  I found this out the hard waySmiley Wink
05/19/08 TU: 703 EQ:717 EX:710

05/08 TU:660 EQ:710 EX:621
04/08 TU:654 EQ:671 EX:618
3/08 TU:608 EQ:624 EX:623
11/07 TU:564 EQ:555 EX: 560
Goal: 700 club by Dec 2008. Can it be done? Heck yeah!! It's done, let's keep it that way!
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.