Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible New Auto Loan... Need Advice

tag
turbine
Valued Member

Possible New Auto Loan... Need Advice

I'm thinking of scoping out a new vehicle. Quick facts..

- my vehicle is not in a negative standing 

- loan is right under 10k while KBB is stating the "good" trade-in value is roughly 11k

- income is roughly $25k 

- no living expenses (living with family)

- according to DCU, EQ is around 690 (allowed a higher balance to report than usual - it has been paid down)

- loan is currently with DCU at 1.240% as a refinance

I've been thinking of getting a brand new vehicle. Willing to spend roughly $30-35k after fees. Would this be possible with my income? 

I've been putting aside $700/mo as a means to see whether such payments are possible and haven't had an issue thus far. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cahiatt
Contributor

Re: Possible New Auto Loan... Need Advice

My personal opinion....

That's a big chunk of your income. And if something comes up and you end up having to get your own place this will become a bigger issue. 

Back in 1997 I bought a $17k car and had about a $250 payment. When I later added rent, utilities and groceries I was darn near broke. Income then was about the same as what you are reporting.

Starting Score: 594 (Dec 10, 2010)
Score: 758 (March, 2013
Goal Score: 730 on all (by end of 2012)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
turbine
Valued Member

Very interesting, I didn't think much about that till you mentioned it. 

It would be horrifying to be struggling due to a car payment when I'm on my own. I could also see the potential setbacks due to a more expensive vehicle if my parents kick me to the curb prior to the agreed date.

Message 3 of 5
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Be money smart and wait until you are in a better situation. I'm also a big fan of riding until your wheels fall off. But if you just really want a new car, I would wait until you have a higher income.

Message 4 of 5
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Definately wait.  I have been "car poor" before and it isn't much fun.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.