Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible new car

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Possible new car

DW and I are considering consolidating 3 cars down to 2.

Our current line-up:

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited

2013 Subaru Impreza

1999 Ford F150

We are buying a boat (cash purchase) and looking at selling the F150 for about $5k.  On top of that we're looking at trading in or selling the Santa Fe (about $3k-$5k in equity) and buying a larger SUV that can tow the boat (thus eliminating the need for the truck).

We're thinking about a new Explorer or Grand Cherokee, probably $35k or so.

If I trade in the Santa Fe, get $3k down, plus the $5k we sell the truck for, putting down about $8k I think it should be pretty easy.  Debating using DCU for the financing.  My concern is that I just bought the Subaru in January.

My stats:

Scores: EQ704, TU729, EX726

AAoA 4 Years

Current Income = $11k per month

Revolving Utilization = 1%

Current Subaru Open Auto $373 per month

Mortgage $2225 per month

Anyone see any issues?  Think I'd be OK with the purchase in January?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible new car

I think you should be good to go on the loan. How are you liking your Impreza? I bought a Legacy in February.

You should check out the Nissan Xterra, you can score a pretty good price on one. They tow surprisingly well. My uncle has a Grand Cherokee and my mom has an Xterra. The Xterra loaded down with a large loaded trailer was significantly faster than the Jeep. Plus the Xterra was getting better fuel mileage with the V6 vs the V8 in his jeep. I can't image how gutless the V6 Jeep would be.

If you are just mainly going for a tow rig, you should just get a decent used vehicle. I would suggest something like this: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2014&zip=94121&keywordPhrases=P... Although, new cars sometimes make more sense. IE better financing and sometimes a better deal.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 13
Cageym
Established Contributor

I just ordered a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the V8. They come standard with a V-6  (both V-6 and V-8 have an 8 speed auto standard for 2014, it increases the mileage about 2 mpg) that's rated at 25 MPG Hwy and the V8 is rated at 22. One thing you do need to look at is the weight of the boat. I got the class IV tow package included with the offroad adventure package (I'm getting the Limited) and it's rated at 7400 pounds. I'm not sure what the V6 can pull. If you go with the Eco-diesel you won't have a problem but remember it's a $4000 option and there is a fluid that has to be added every 10000 miles, which is why I didn't get it. The diesel is rated to tow as much as the V8, and mpg is around 30.

As far as the loan goes you should be good.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 3 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Awwwwww....Didn't know they made a diesel. That is sweet. Get the diesel!

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 13
Cageym
Established Contributor

3.0 Turbo diesel, made in Italy. But like I said, it has that urea- based diesel exhaust fluid so that the engine meets emissions standards. And it need replacement every 10,000 miles. MOre on it here: http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_2014_jeep_grand_cherokee_diesel_first_drive/viewall.html

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 5 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Cageym wrote:

3.0 Turbo diesel, made in Italy. But like I said, it has that urea- based diesel exhaust fluid so that the engine meets emissions standards. And it need replacement every 10,000 miles. MOre on it here: http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_2014_jeep_grand_cherokee_diesel_first_drive/viewall.html

It doesn't seem too costly. Just like an every other oil change type thing.

Message 6 of 13
Cageym
Established Contributor

A couple of sites I looked at people took it in to be done and it was about $100 at the dealer.

Message 7 of 13
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I didn't even know about the diesel, I'll do some research on that.  I'm looking at the Limited V8 with the class IV package.  Dustin - I like the XTerra but the wife does not.  As far as the Impreza, I love it but if I had to do it over again I would have bought the Legacy.  Thanks for your input guys.

Message 8 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

I didn't even know about the diesel, I'll do some research on that.  I'm looking at the Limited V8 with the class IV package.  Dustin - I like the XTerra but the wife does not.  As far as the Impreza, I love it but if I had to do it over again I would have bought the Legacy.***  Thanks for your input guys.

She could get used to it at half the price...haha

That diesel is pretty cool. 8 Speed auto paired with a torquey engine. You would have plenty of power and still good fuel mileage. Otherwise, I'm just not a big Grand Cherokee fan at such a high cost for what you get. If I wasn't paying for the gas I could get used to an SRT Smiley Happy

If it is a small boat you can tow it with a Subaru. (Not likely advisable with the CVT) Haha, my last Impreza was a beast. Easily pulled a couple thousand pounds over mountain passes with no problem. I traded it in before the tranny ate itself. The 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid seems okay. Not sure how it is rated, but it can likely tow something small.

The diesel Jeep I would trust past the warranty period, otherwise I'd be worried after the warranty expired on a jeep.

***I got better fuel mileage on the testdrive with the Legacy than I did with the Impreza. That was going the same route. Although, the CVT in both worries me...Plus subaru's rattle from everywhere

So many good cars out there. Have her test drive lots before she/you settle on the jeep.

Message 9 of 13
TrishN
Established Contributor

so the F150 can not tow the boat? i think it good to use the F150 to tow the boat and save some money Smiley Very Happy

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.