cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get Used Auto Loan in advance of finding specific vehicle/VIN?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to get Used Auto Loan in advance of finding specific vehicle/VIN?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a used vehicle (specific make and model). I've started looking into Used Auto Loans and it looks like I actually need to find the exact vehicle (need vin) before I can be approved. As I've looked at listings, I've realized that I don't have as much haggling power since I don't have cash in-hand and because of the time delay (get paperwork to & from loan institution) someone else will swoop in to get the deal before I do. Is there a reasonable way to get the loan in advance of having the specific VIN picked out? Any info that you could provide on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Possible to get Used Auto Loan in advance of finding specific vehicle/VIN?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the market for a used vehicle (specific make and model). I've started looking into Used Auto Loans and it looks like I actually need to find the exact vehicle (need vin) before I can be approved. As I've looked at listings, I've realized that I don't have as much haggling power since I don't have cash in-hand and because of the time delay (get paperwork to & from loan institution) someone else will swoop in to get the deal before I do. Is there a reasonable way to get the loan in advance of having the specific VIN picked out? Any info that you could provide on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

your bank or a cu should be able to pre-approve based on a dollar amount and the make and model of what your looking for.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a credit union with a good rate online (pen-fed) but they needed all the seller's info and VIN before I could be approved. Do you know of any CU's/Banks with good rates that I should check out?

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I found a credit union with a good rate online (pen-fed) but they needed all the seller's info and VIN before I could be approved. Do you know of any CU's/Banks with good rates that I should check out?

Hello and welcome.

I would suggest trying to find a local CU and go in and talk to them. That's one thing I like about my CU- I can walk in anytime and talk face to face to a lender.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.