cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepping for an Auto Loan, any help is appreciated.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prepping for an Auto Loan, any help is appreciated.

So I'm looking to apply for an auto loan here in next 2 or 3 months. I'm sure there are articles and many other topics about 'tips and tricks' but I was wondering. What people have done in the past to try to get the best rate? If there is anyone who works in the auto industry are there things you love seeing, hate seeing on the credit reports?

To be honest I'm trying to avoid the 'dealer shotgunning' really don't want to take a 5+ inq hit. I will mention I don't have the best credit at this point, being young and dumb, no baddies just a lack of file and moderate util.  Though finally moving in a strong positive direction now. Appreciate any help provide.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: Prepping for an Auto Loan, any help is appreciated.

Get your utilization as low as possible preferably with only one card showing a balance of under 10 percent to boost your score. Wait for all the accounts to report to the agencies before applying for anything.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prepping for an Auto Loan, any help is appreciated.

The best way to get the best rate possible is to simply get a pre-approval with a CU such as DCU/NFCU/PenFed at a good rate and after negotiating price with the dealer let them know that you have a pre-approval. They may be able to beat the CU rate but I would get it in writing that they can only submit you to 1-2 of the banks they think can beat your interest rate through your pre-approval. I would fib a little bit about the pre-approval rate because if you tell them you have 4.5% for 72 they may very well come back at 4.25% for 72 and you might be leaving "money on the table."

Thing's that auto lender's like to see on your credit report are previous comparable installment credit such as a mortgage, previous car loans, personal loan, etc.

They obviously don't like to see previous reposession's or excessive utilization of credit cards.

As mentioned, do everything in your power to increase your score such as the AZEO method (all card's reporting a 0 balance except one card reporting a small balance under 9% of the utilization of that specific card)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.