Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private party sale and new car purchase

tag
Zahnrosen
Contributor

Re: Private party sale and new car purchase

Could this be done with Capital One Auto Finance as the lienholder? Do they have a local office I could do the sale at?
Message 11 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure you can do this over the phone and they'll take care of the paperwork and anything else.  I'd definitely give them a call beforehand.
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@daisyduke wrote:

Hey Clocktick,

I just learned last night this can be done, that you can buy a car with a lien on it.... I had no idea until a friend of mine said the best deal for me on a car would be to try to find someone who can't make the payments.... struggling to pay...bought a car they cannot afford...

I read about these people on Craigslist - people wanting to take over other's payments or vice versa.  I don't know too much about it.  I'd imagine there would be a credit check and it's almost like a refinance with a name change?  I really don't know.  I'm wondering how one would get a good deal of doing this as well.  More than likely the person who can't keep up with their payments owe more than the car's actually worth.  It would be worth looking into if it would really benefit you, the buyer. 
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 13 of 16
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

thanks clocktick, that idea lasted about twenty seconds. i plan to buy from a reputable dealer and call it a day. I can't deal with craigslist. too scary too many unknowns. if people cant make their payments, they probably can't maintain properly either.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 14 of 16
Zahnrosen
Contributor

@daisyduke wrote:
thanks clocktick, that idea lasted about twenty seconds. i plan to buy from a reputable dealer and call it a day. I can't deal with craigslist. too scary too many unknowns. if people cant make their payments, they probably can't maintain properly either.
I think your missing the point. I'm interested in selling this car but it has nothing to do with not being able to make the payments. I'm buying a newer, nicer car. So, the car has been well maintained and I've taken good care of it. So, I'm sure there are some sellers who'd want you to assume the payments on something they can't afford but thats not me.

Message 15 of 16
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Zahn,

No, I'm sorry for this. the question was not directed at your situation. I was asking a friend of mine if i could buy a vehicle that had a loan on it - so i posted the answer is yes, I don't know how but yes it can be done... I should not have hi jacked your post...because I was stating that my friend said I SHOULD buy a car from someone that is in over their head with the payments and that would be a good deal. I"m sorry about the misunderstanding. There were seperate issues altogether....

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.