Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private vs Dealer

tag
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Private vs Dealer

I've been considering buying a 4-5 year old Honda Accord and found a couple good ones by private sellers. I know buying from a dealer can be better for financing because they have more "juice" with lenders.

My scores are in the low to mid 600s but wonder if it's generally more difficult to get a loan when buying privately. I've also considered getting a refi type loan on my daily drive which is worth about $12-13K retail, I bought it new and paid cash so, I could use the refi $ to buy a $10K Accord

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Re: Private vs Dealer

No advice or opinions?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is generally accepted that a private party sale costs "less" then a Dealer.

1 Some banks or credit unions allow/issue checks that you the user then use to buy your vehicle from a private party.

Only you know who you bank with, you can ask them. other then NFCU I do not know anyone else who issues those checks- but thats just due t me not using them

Message 3 of 6
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Even though I'm a Navy vet, not eligible. My bank doesn't do private "fill-in-the-blank" auto loans. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

1- Find a new bank

2- If possible do you have any experience with NFCU? If you were a past member you can re-open you raccount. If you retired from the navy you can become a member.

Message 5 of 6
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Thinking about joining Alliant or PenFed. Not retired Navy and not sure NFCU existed when I was active duty ;-/

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.